Author Topic: The addition of 'n'n to captions  (Read 2886 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
The addition of 'n'n to captions
« on: October 28, 2018, 07:05:00 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Hopefully, you can assist with a problem that is showing up on the attached images clipped from my Getty pages that were uploaded during April of this year and affects quite a few of the pictures. Images that were added for earlier and later events are not showing the same error.

The problem shows up in some captions for Getty Images where at the end of the caption -    'n'n    - has been added.

This problem causes the "*** Local Caption *** Nijat Shikhalizada;Denis Vieru" element to remain included in the caption when it should fit into a different Getty field that does not normally show with the caption. Sometimes there is a gap between the last word and the 'n'n and on other images, as shown there is no gap.

A copy of the relevant IPTC Preferences field is attached.

Is there something in my IPTC/XMP preferences setup that is incorrect or could this be a Getty problem?

Your advice would be welcome.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: The addition of 'n'n to captions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 08:11:37 AM »
David,

It would be better for me to have access to actual images so that I can look at the metadata directly.  Hard to say what is responsible for displaying the unwanted characters (only Getty would know what fields they pull data from).

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 02:42:30 AM »
Thanks, Kirk.

The two jpegs that were sent to Getty are attached and the two original NEFs are available but I don't think they would have had any effect on the outcome.

Thanks again.
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 06:38:34 AM »
David,

Thank you for the sample images.  I find no direct evidence of cause of the unwanted characters (n'n) in the file.  What I did notice is that there are two linefeed characters at the end of the the Caption field, perhaps that threw off Getty's system when it processed the file?

Also, I don't see you using any of the Getty-specific fields that Photo Mechanic offers.  Doesn't PM support the Getty fields you need, directly?

If you're able to resend/reprocess the photos, it would be interesting to remove the two linefeeds (just backspace over them) and try them again.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 08:33:37 AM »
What are the Getty fields?

I didn't know there were any agency fields other than the AP fields.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 09:23:05 AM »
David,

What are the Getty fields?

I didn't know there were any agency fields other than the AP fields.

There are several.  Try customizing your IPTC Info and IPTC Stationery Pad layouts in the Accessibility section of the Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 10:24:20 AM »
I have already done that to a limited degree as the attached clip.

The fields that have the ** are the ones I automatically use but I set those up a long time ago. It probably would be better for me to disable more of the fields that are not required by Getty and would simplify matters on the day.

As far as the     'n'n      goes I think it might have been a Getty problem as the event ran over 4 days and each caption was unique with the names added for each set of images meaning that the line feeds could not have been added by me every time I added a caption.

Thank you for your help Kirk.
David