Author Topic: Color issues while opening Nikon RAW files (NEF) in Photoshop Camera RAW  (Read 1757 times)

Offline pripir

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi,

In PM when I try to edit Nikon RAW (NEF) photos, the colors and sharpness look so much different that how they look in PM preview. I think PM preview uses JPG but the quality of RAW in PS Camera RAW look so bad. I don't know why. Even if select "Apply auto tone and color adjustments" in Camera RAW Preferences images still look different.

I have tried and used Nikon Capture NX-D tp open photos i Camera RAW. Images looks exactly same. I have attached couple of screenshots.

This issue drives me crazy. Often I shoot tethered, RAW, I will set carefully the lights, aperture etc to make photos look great and then I try to edit them in PS via PM and they look so much different.

System:
PM version: 5.0 (build 19711)
Photoshop CC 2018
Windows 8.1 64-bit
and I shoot with Nikon D5 set to color space Adobe RGB.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Color issues while opening Nikon RAW files (NEF) in Photoshop Camera RAW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 01:46:58 AM »
It's not a Photo Mechanic issue, since PM is just displaying the embedded jpeg that was made in-camera.

Adobe and Nikon software (including the in-camera jpeg engine) are obviously different, Nikon (and most, if not all, camera makers) do not disclose their rendering engine to third parties.

You can get more similar colours to Nikon's rendering if you use Camera Standard profile inside ACR, set the in-camera contrast etc to defaults and disable any proprietary in-camera techniques like D-lighting (which applies only to jpegs anyway, and you are working with raws). Or use Nikon's software to process the files.