Author Topic: multiple users and structured keywords panel  (Read 17506 times)

Offline widphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
multiple users and structured keywords panel
« on: March 30, 2007, 12:31:16 PM »
Kirk,

Can I set up the structured keywords panel with an imported CVKC so that two users can access the same keyword information/database at all times? If so how?

Thanks,

Russ

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: multiple users and structured keywords panel
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 03:10:24 PM »
Russ,

Can I set up the structured keywords panel with an imported CVKC so that two users can access the same keyword information/database at all times? If so how?

When you do an Import, it does a merge.  When you do a Load, it replaces the entire contents.  So all you would need to do is Import each other's exported Structured Keywords files and this would make sure that you both have the same set of data.

That should do it.

-Kirk

Offline widphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 06:25:02 PM »
Russ,

When you do an Import, it does a merge.  When you do a Load, it replaces the entire contents.  So all you would need to do is Import each other's exported Structured Keywords files and this would make sure that you both have the same set of data.

That should do it.

-Kirk

I was under the impression that any changes made to the CVKC were saved "inside" PM. So said David Riecks. But I will play with this, where would I "load" the data set from?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 06:56:32 PM »
Russ,

I was under the impression that any changes made to the CVKC were saved "inside" PM. So said David Riecks. But I will play with this, where would I "load" the data set from?

All of your data is save to a file on your hard drive in a location that Photo Mechanic chooses.  You can also save it wherever you want by clicking on the "Save" button.  That file could be on a server where you and your coworkers can both access.  Each of you would save your keywords to a known location, then you would each import each other's keywords by using the "Merge" button.  Once you did that, you and your coworkers would all have the same data.  You do all of this from the Structured Keywords dialog or floating panel.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline widphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 01:44:21 PM »
Cool, thanks for that tip will check it out. While we are talking about keywords. I am confused about the use and or function of the keyword panel cmmd-K. If I select a file with keywords in it, should not the keywords panel display those keywords and allow me to edit them? If not, perhaps the panel should be named, Add Keywords. My pref would be to be able to add, edit, and remove from this panel, as it stands now, not sure why I would use this feature, especially in light of the structured keywords panel.

Also, if multiple files were selected, would be great to sync keywords with this panel. Button, apply to all? Some ideas here not sure if they are valid or not.

russ

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 02:03:55 PM »
Russ,

Cool, thanks for that tip will check it out. While we are talking about keywords. I am confused about the use and or function of the keyword panel cmmd-K. If I select a file with keywords in it, should not the keywords panel display those keywords and allow me to edit them?

No, because you can easily have multiple selected photos.

Quote from: widphoto
If not, perhaps the panel should be named, Add Keywords. My pref would be to be able to add, edit, and remove from this panel, as it stands now, not sure why I would use this feature, especially in light of the structured keywords panel.

The Keywords panel is useful for applying lists of terms that come from your master keywords list which I am sure some users have spent a fair amount of time gathering together.  Adding and subtracting can be done from within the IPTC Info dialog's Keywords dialog just as you describe.

I think the Structured Keywords panel is fantastic and I am far more likely to use it than the Keywords panel, but both have their uses and both will be used.

Quote from: widphoto
Also, if multiple files were selected, would be great to sync keywords with this panel. Button, apply to all? Some ideas here not sure if they are valid or not.

The apply button does say "Apply to selected photos" which I think is quite clear about what the button's intentions are.

-Kirk

Offline widphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 02:56:41 PM »

The Keywords panel is useful for applying lists of terms that come from your master keywords list which I am sure some users have spent a fair amount of time gathering together.  Adding and subtracting can be done from within the IPTC Info dialog's Keywords dialog just as you describe

Is the master keywords similiar to CVKC? That is to say a saved list? Adding and subtracting from within the iptc window is a less than efficient process, will there be a rework of the keywords field that might display a scrolling window and perhaps a  "-" (minus) symbol next to each keyword? Would be tons easier on this end.

So if I have this correct, as example, to remove a keyword from a selected group of say 100 files, go to iptc, click drag to scroll through the keyword list, find and delete the offending word, and apply to selected?

OK, just tried this, I have two files, BOTH with the following keywords... Russ Widstrand,Widstrand Photography,North America,United States of America,America,U.S.,United States,US,USA,Oregon,Portland

When I select both files and go to iptc panel cmd-i to edit the keywords I get this...Russ Widstrand,Widstrand Photography  Only two keywords show up. The keywords were applied in PM on another machine, fyi. The two "sticky" keywords came from LR's initial ingest.

My basic question, besides what is not showing up as I just mentioned, is how to remove keywords efficiently?

Russ

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 03:39:06 PM »

The Keywords panel is useful for applying lists of terms that come from your master keywords list which I am sure some users have spent a fair amount of time gathering together.  Adding and subtracting can be done from within the IPTC Info dialog's Keywords dialog just as you describe

Is the master keywords similiar to CVKC? That is to say a saved list? Adding and subtracting from within the iptc window is a less than efficient process, will there be a rework of the keywords field that might display a scrolling window and perhaps a  "-" (minus) symbol next to each keyword? Would be tons easier on this end.

So if I have this correct, as example, to remove a keyword from a selected group of say 100 files, go to iptc, click drag to scroll through the keyword list, find and delete the offending word, and apply to selected?

OK, just tried this, I have two files, BOTH with the following keywords... Russ Widstrand,Widstrand Photography,North America,United States of America,America,U.S.,United States,US,USA,Oregon,Portland

When I select both files and go to iptc panel cmd-i to edit the keywords I get this...Russ Widstrand,Widstrand Photography  Only two keywords show up. The keywords were applied in PM on another machine, fyi. The two "sticky" keywords came from LR's initial ingest.

My basic question, besides what is not showing up as I just mentioned, is how to remove keywords efficiently?

Try double clicking on them in the Keywords text field and then press delete.  Should work pretty quickly.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline widphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 04:39:31 PM »
will try the editing method you propose when ALL the keywords show up when selecting multiple files, right now cannot get PM to see ALL keywords in a multiple selection, but all the keywords show up when selecting one individual file???? Please try this on your end and see what you get. It may have something to do with session edits into metadata. Thanks. Russ

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 05:25:49 PM »
will try the editing method you propose when ALL the keywords show up when selecting multiple files, right now cannot get PM to see ALL keywords in a multiple selection, but all the keywords show up when selecting one individual file???? Please try this on your end and see what you get. It may have something to do with session edits into metadata. Thanks. Russ

What is a session edit?

-Kirk

Offline widphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 05:32:49 PM »
Kirk, ok, I think I have narrowed down keywords not showing up to the structured keyword panel. When applying keywords from Structured keywords panel, the keywords show up in the individual files, but NOT when selecting multiple files. I used Riecks CVKC product, fyi. Let me know if you have the same result. Mac OS 10.4.8. Russ

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 05:43:33 PM »
Russ,

Kirk, ok, I think I have narrowed down keywords not showing up to the structured keyword panel. When applying keywords from Structured keywords panel, the keywords show up in the individual files, but NOT when selecting multiple files. I used Riecks CVKC product, fyi. Let me know if you have the same result. Mac OS 10.4.8.

How about posting a screen shot of the Structured Keywords panel and the IPTC Info panel for one of the files that has the issue?

-Kirk

Offline widphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 05:54:09 PM »
Ok, here they are. Not as clear as I would like because of the size of the keyword box.

Capture with thumbnail image shows all keywords scrolling right  (one selected file).

Image without thumbnail image is capture with two files selected with identical keywords. This capture shows only three keywords. Not right.

Here is the list of keywords present in BOTH files: Russ Widstrand,Widstrand Photography,test keyword,North America,United States of America,America,U.S.,United States,US,USA,Oregon,Portland

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 06:36:31 PM »
Russ,

Ok, here they are. Not as clear as I would like because of the size of the keyword box.

Capture with thumbnail image shows all keywords scrolling right  (one selected file).

Image without thumbnail image is capture with two files selected with identical keywords. This capture shows only three keywords. Not right.

Here is the list of keywords present in BOTH files: Russ Widstrand,Widstrand Photography,test keyword,North America,United States of America,America,U.S.,United States,US,USA,Oregon,Portland

I think you're a bit confused here.  The IPTC Stationery Pad only shows the contents of the IPTC Stationery Pad.  It does not matter how many images you have selected.  You could even have no images selected.  The IPTC Stationery Pad would still show the contents of the IPTC Stationery Pad.

The IPTC Stationery Pad is used to apply multiple fields simultaneously to a set of photos in a batch operation.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline widphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 07:01:39 PM »
Duh, you are right, I am looking at the wrong component. So the question is, where in the menu bar does one edit keywords across multiple files. Please be specific. Russ

Addendum, OK I believe I found it. I was under the impression that the command to envoke keyword editing would be in the top menu bar. I guess it is not. When selecting multiple files, one must click the "i" on the slide boundary for a file in the selection (not very intuitive IMHO). Furthermore, after having made the edit in the keyword field, one must use key modifyers to change button descriptions to "apply to selected", again not that intuitive for something as basic as editing keywords, in this case across mutliple files.

I am a new user to PM, which may account for my stumbling around. But, you might consider a menu driven command for editing IPTC data across multiple files. Clicking on the thumbnails is counter intuitive as we are not working with a single image (thumbnail), but with multiple files.

Anyway will dig into this further. Russ
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 07:31:56 PM by widphoto »