Author Topic: iptc date variable vs date variable  (Read 5099 times)

Offline myotis

• View Profile
iptc date variable vs date variable
« on: September 05, 2018, 07:46:46 AM »
I use a string of variables in the stationary pad to import files into a Year/month/date folder hierarchy.

The variables, which I copied from a tutorial years ago, all use the iptc form of the variables.

I assume that what happens is that PM uses the actual capture date and time to fill in the XMP iptc data fields, and then the folder hierarchy is set from the data now in the XMP sidecar file.

What I'm not sure about is why this is better than using the non-iptc variable options. ie why iptcmonth rather than just month, and use the data directly from the raw file.

I am in the process of slightly changing my folder structure, and am now curious as to why/when one approach might be better than the other.

Thanks,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: iptc date variable vs date variable
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 08:01:13 AM »
Graham,

I think either approach is fine.  It depends on your workflow.  If you never set an IPTC Date/Time then PM will use the Capture Date/Time anyway.  If you do set an IPTC Date/Time and it differs from the Capture Date/Time, then only the variables for the IPTC Date/Time will have those values.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 09:58:10 AM »
Thanks Kirk,

I will just continue with the iptc option.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline noelhsydney

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 02:44:46 PM »
I like myotis (Graham), is doing a clean up of my Photos stored on a NAS. I take a lot of Photos for Real Estate agents. I use during ingesting a yyyy/mmm/dd variable in the iptc. However is there one to capture the week number? I can within Excel  so I am thinking that there might be one for PM5. Thanks for the help.  Regards Noel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 03:47:52 PM »
Noel,

I like myotis (Graham), is doing a clean up of my Photos stored on a NAS. I take a lot of Photos for Real Estate agents. I use during ingesting a yyyy/mmm/dd variable in the iptc. However is there one to capture the week number? I can within Excel  so I am thinking that there might be one for PM5. Thanks for the help.  Regards Noel

No, there is no variable that produces the 'week of the year' in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk