Photo Mechanic > General Discussion

GPS tracker that works with PM

(1/2) > >>

adrianlambert:
Any tips on something that works quickly and simply?

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: adrianlambert on November 08, 2018, 06:56:50 AM ---Any tips on something that works quickly and simply?

--- End quote ---

I haven't personally bought one in years and the one that I have is no longer available.  A quick search for devices that produce GPX log files finds these two devices:

Holux RCV-3000
GlobalSat DG-500 Data Logger

Based on their descriptions, they both sound easy to use and are able to be connected via USB to download the GPX log files.  PM should handle these files just fine in the Import GPS Coordinates feature.

HTH,

-Kirk

tgray:
Not sure if it is exactly simply, but I use my Garmin GPS running watch.  Set the activity for Hiking or Walking and once it syncs to the Garmin website, download the GPX file from there.  Also not as cheap as the devices listed, but it was something I already had.

dennislinden:
Since most of us already use a smart phone of some type, take a look at this very inexpensive app.

https://galileo-app.com/ 

FVlcek:
The smartphone approach would work, but I guess the main idea with trackers is that they do not consume a lot of juice, and can work for many days on one battery :) (since they do not need to be polling for location every time, just once per x minutes). For example, for some long mountaineering trips I used SPOT messenger (which is a bit overkill for just GPS tracking since it's sattelite messenger with SOS functionality, but when you are alone in the wilderness it can be helpful to be able to send an SOS even without any cell coverage), which can work for something like 14 days while getting GPS every ten minutes and even transmitting the coordinates over sat link back to home with 4 AAA cells. I would then download the GPX from their website. I guess just a tracker could be quite smaller and run for just as long, when it would not have to transmit over satlink, just save the log. Try that with a smartphone :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version