Author Topic: Modifying a file name  (Read 1876 times)

Offline ng1111

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Modifying a file name
« on: November 17, 2018, 10:41:11 AM »
I have looked through different version but not sure I have found the answer I can work with. 

I have had an issue with my cloud back up where the server has downloaded a file and then named it:

20170623_USAT_MLB_Giants_Mets_0003_CR2_GameUpload_DiskStation_Sep-11-1413-2018_Conflict.Jpg

I'm now going through everyone of my directories and changing the names since Lightroom catalog cannot find the original file since the _DiskStation_Sep-11-1413-2018_Conflict has been appended to the file.

Is there a way to bulk delete that portion of the file without changing everything in front of it?

Thank you,
Neville

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Modifying a file name
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 12:50:20 PM »
Neville,

I have looked through different version but not sure I have found the answer I can work with. 

I have had an issue with my cloud back up where the server has downloaded a file and then named it:

20170623_USAT_MLB_Giants_Mets_0003_CR2_GameUpload_DiskStation_Sep-11-1413-2018_Conflict.Jpg

I'm now going through everyone of my directories and changing the names since Lightroom catalog cannot find the original file since the _DiskStation_Sep-11-1413-2018_Conflict has been appended to the file.

Is there a way to bulk delete that portion of the file without changing everything in front of it?

Absolutely.  I can think of two ways.  If the part you want to remove never changes then you can use the Find and Replace panel to search for _DiskStation_Sep-11-1413-2018_Conflict and replace with nothing.  If it is changing all the time then as long as the length doesn't change then you can use the Rename dialog and variable substring extraction to do it.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Find_and_Replace
http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Variable_Substring_Extraction

HTH,

-Kirk