Author Topic: Ability to jump from one code replacement point to the next in caption  (Read 10124 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ability to jump from one code replacement point to the next in caption
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 03:48:15 PM »
David,

Ok all going nicely with 2 players from different teams.  If I have 2 players from the same team celebrating a goal, I only want the team name entered once, with player 1 and player 2 celebrate after scoring as the text. 
Can you show me what my code replacement text file format should be to allow me to insert the team name + player name or, the player name on its own.  I understand using the #with the player code could be used to bring in the player name without the team name, but I'm not sure of the actual structure of the code replacement file to allow that to work.

At the minute I have re-structured my squad lists on my code replacement text file as follows

cr18   Crusaders Jordan Owens

What do I need to add to this data to allow me the option of pulling through the players name on its own?

Add another tab after Owens and enter Jordan Owens again.  You would then use cr18#2 to use it.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline David Maginnis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 01:17:13 AM »
David,

Ok all going nicely with 2 players from different teams.  If I have 2 players from the same team celebrating a goal, I only want the team name entered once, with player 1 and player 2 celebrate after scoring as the text. 
Can you show me what my code replacement text file format should be to allow me to insert the team name + player name or, the player name on its own.  I understand using the #with the player code could be used to bring in the player name without the team name, but I'm not sure of the actual structure of the code replacement file to allow that to work.

At the minute I have re-structured my squad lists on my code replacement text file as follows

cr18   Crusaders Jordan Owens

What do I need to add to this data to allow me the option of pulling through the players name on its own?

Add another tab after Owens and enter Jordan Owens again.  You would then use cr18#2 to use it.

HTH,

-Kirk

Kerching - the penny has dropped.  Many thanks Kirk.
Made some minor amendments to the template which gives me a little more scope to revise the wording using the suppcat fields without having to go near the applied caption.
Biggest change for me will be getting the code replacements sorted.  We have to do these by hand from the team sheet which we sometimes only receive about 30 mins before ko. 
Working in Excel would be the quickest option with a few formula to generate the names for the second column then a macro to generate the text file.  That'll be my next project.
Thanks again for your patience and assistance.  Much appreciated.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 02:58:02 AM »
That's similar to the way I do it, Kirk, and it is absolutely awesome! BTW, don't the players have fixed bib numbers in the team for most of the season anyway in NI? Even if they aren't selected for the match in question, their bib should still be the same, no? At least in our leagues it does ;) Unless the player drops out altogether or changes clubs, you can just prepare the CR files for each club in advance at the season start, nicely comfy at home, with bib numbers gleaned from their websites, and select appropriate CR files for each match in question. You would then just need to check before the match if there weren't any player sells to another club, but you would probably know about that as usualy it makes the news. You did know that PM can accept several files at once for code replacement, right? So you can have a separate file for club A, another for club B and just check them right beforehand for any last minute changes, no?

Offline David Maginnis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 01:31:01 PM »
Until this current season we had to manually type up each team as we attended the opening matches of the new season until such times as we had a full library of CR for each team.  This season the league admin issued a list of registered players for each team at the start of the season so it has improved.  Theres still the odd addition during the season but as you said, its generally ok to January until the transfer window opens and theres a bit more movement and amendments required for a few weeks.
The difficulty arises with some cup competitions where non-league teams appear and we're reliant on the team-sheet at the ground largely before the game.  Even getting a teamsheet from some clubs is a fighting match. 
International football is still largely the teamsheet on the day of the match an hour before ko and either manually type up the CR file or, in my case, I use wiki to construct a list of squad players a day or two before the match then add the shirt number on the evening of the match from the teamsheet.