Author Topic: Caption, Persons Shown & Keywords  (Read 5714 times)

Offline JonHob

• View Profile
Caption, Persons Shown & Keywords
« on: April 03, 2019, 01:15:10 PM »
I'm not sure if I or anyone else has asked this before but this is an ongoing problem I have every time I shoot a football match.

I shoot for two agencies and, as well as captioning the image, I have to add the names of the players to Persons Shown or Keywords. I am fairly fast at the Caption but adding a name/s to Persons Shown or Keywords is a pain in the ass.

I have a set of codes with the name, position and team and, another with just the name. The codes I use are.... m1 (full description) and m1k (just the name). 

Is there a way PM can automatically add just the name to the required field (Persons Shown or Keywords etc.)? It would save so much time and know there are a number of agencies who require this way of captioning.

Thanks, Jon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Caption, Persons Shown & Keywords
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 02:19:38 PM »
Jon,

I'm not sure if I or anyone else has asked this before but this is an ongoing problem I have every time I shoot a football match.

I shoot for two agencies and, as well as captioning the image, I have to add the names of the players to Persons Shown or Keywords. I am fairly fast at the Caption but adding a name/s to Persons Shown or Keywords is a pain in the ass.

I have a set of codes with the name, position and team and, another with just the name. The codes I use are.... m1 (full description) and m1k (just the name). 

Is there a way PM can automatically add just the name to the required field (Persons Shown or Keywords etc.)? It would save so much time and know there are a number of agencies who require this way of captioning.

Sure, but you have to put your code in some unused field so that you can look it up as a replacement.  It goes like this:

You first go through the images with the Metadata (IPTC) Info dialog adding the code for the person in the photo, usually some abbreviation of the team name and the number on the jersey, to an unused field like Edit Status.  Then in the Metadata (IPTC) Template dialog you use Code Replacement, using the variable for Edit Status and surrounding it with your Code Replacement delimiters.  Like so:

Keywords field: ={status}=

The above would put the first replacement found in your Code Replacement file for the matching code.  If you wanted the second replacement you'd add a selector:

={status}#2=

Instead of having m1 and m1k, each having one replacement, have a single code with multiple replacements and use the selector to get the one you want.

HTH,

-Kirk