Author Topic: Anyone using PM with ON1 and color labels?  (Read 6504 times)

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
Anyone using PM with ON1 and color labels?
« on: November 20, 2018, 05:09:38 PM »
I've been using PM for a while and trying to move all processing to ON1. Regardless of what direction I start in, all metadata syncs seamlessly between the two except color labels. I am using colors to flag what I am doing with the images, rather than rating.

From PM, to ON1, I have to Read Metadata, which is ok, but in my workflow, I find myself wanting to change colors in ON1 first and PM, is erratic at reading it, even after doing Embed metadata in On1.

Anyone else using a similar workflow? If I can't get this to work properly, I'll have to change to folders for this functionality.

BTW, this is in ON1 2018.

Also, PM is releasing v6 sometime before EOY - don't know if that will help.

Any help or ideas appreciated.

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
Re: Anyone using PM with ON1 and color labels?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 11:38:29 PM »
From PM to C1, yes all is OK with "read metadata"
If you put a label in C1, it is not visible by others softwares, only if you export your picture with a treatment .
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 03:22:11 AM »
OK thanks. Have to rethink my workflow

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 08:43:07 AM »
OK thanks. Have to rethink my workflow

You may have to experiment.
On my Win10 box working with Nikon NEFs, Photo Mechanic (PM) appears to pick up color tag and caption changes I do in On1 Photo Raw 2018 (On1).

On1 does not pick up changes I do in PM. On1 does apparently read metadata from the raw file, once. If I close On1, delete the .on1 sidecar file, hack the XMP sidecar (remove some "onone" stuff) and start On1, it picks up changes made in PM.

In case you work with DNG-files, you should know that PM does NOT handle metadata in DNGs as a raw file; PM handles DNGs the same way it handles JPEGs. I hope this will change some day when Kirk and his co-workers think this through. Right now, some software that treats DNG as a raw file will never ever write metadata to it. Catch22: PM only reads DNG metadata from the DNG, not from a sidecar where a raw file application puts it.

By the way, the application Capture One (C1) is not On1 Photo Raw 2018.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 09:11:49 AM by Odd Skjaeveland »
--
Odd S.

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 05:22:21 PM »
yeah, this color label workflow evolved over time and probably outgrew itself anyway. I have switched to a folder system for those particular files which will probably help make it smoother while having both systems looking at smaller sets of images. 

And re C1, don't know if the responder misspoke or misunderstood, but the problem was the same when I was testing with them. It seems, for some reason, that color labels is not handled like the rest of the metadata. Since 8 seems to be the max number of color labels across systems, a single bit of storage is all that would be required, but I'll just stay away from them for now.

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 09:16:23 PM »
...And re C1, don't know if the responder misspoke or misunderstood, but the problem was the same when I was testing with them. It seems, for some reason, that color labels is not handled like the rest of the metadata.

PM <-> C1 color label, star rating, caption (and more) work just fine, DNG-files being the exception I have faced.
--
Odd S.

Offline Alan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 06:08:53 PM »
I have 2 way editable data exchange to between PM and Photo Raw 2019. In the PM preferences in the general tab under color classes I pressed the 'lightening bolt' and picked Light Room. I'm just using Color Classes 1 thru 5, Red thru Purple. This corresponds with 6 thru 0 in Photo Raw.

Hope this helps.

Offline Gary D.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 06:49:44 AM »
I have the same setup as Alan  and also have the color labels / metadata pass back and forth..
However.
If is set metadata (anything) with PH5 and then read that photo/directory in On1. All metadata is read / presented properly
If the photo/directory has already been read/scanned by On1  Then make a change in PM5 .  I have to manually select the Photo->Read Metadata menu option to have changes show up.
When ever  I change a color label in On1 I have to select the Photo->Embed Metadata.

That seems to be the case regardless of having the directory "Cataloged" in On1 or if Im just using it to browse the directories.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:01:47 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline photomy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 09:47:40 PM »
Some thoughts >> When trying to coordinate color labels you need to know exactly how ON1 records labels and compare it to PM by using Exiftool.  Of course you need to make sure that ON1 saves to an external record such as xmp sidecar file, or in the jpg/tif.  This sidecar file also has to be of a universal/standard form with extension  .xmp.  If ON1 writes some kind of custom field for the color label, then this will not be read by PM, and ON1 will likely not read what PM writes.  Also, as  others have mentioned, the labels need to match exactly (or at least a few).  Only the spelling matches will work correctly.  Then you still not have the correct color show up wither in ON1, depending on how ON1 handles this.  PM helps by complete spelling and color customization from that side.