Author Topic: Feature Request: Auto Updater  (Read 3380 times)

Offline avogadro23

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Feature Request: Auto Updater
« on: November 29, 2018, 03:44:47 PM »
I love the frequency of updates to the program. However, having to manually install updates every week is a bit of a chore.
Most small/indie developers manage to have an auto-update routine that handles all of this, many smaller than Camerabits.

I see that this question was raised in 2009 and soorrrta addressed http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=5001.msg22983#msg22983. You made it less painful to download the updates, but never addressed the auto update.

There is a open-source framework called Sparkle that handles this.  Any chance you will implement this? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Feature Request: Auto Updater
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 07:36:28 PM »
I love the frequency of updates to the program. However, having to manually install updates every week is a bit of a chore.
Most small/indie developers manage to have an auto-update routine that handles all of this, many smaller than Camerabits.

I see that this question was raised in 2009 and soorrrta addressed http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=5001.msg22983#msg22983. You made it less painful to download the updates, but never addressed the auto update.

There is a open-source framework called Sparkle that handles this.  Any chance you will implement this?

Not likely.  And we definitely don't have weekly updates.  Sometimes months go by between updates.

-Kirk

Offline avogadro23

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 10:15:05 PM »
Yeah, I was exaggerating a little, but it is fairly frequent.

Anyway, thank you for your reply!  Is there any reason why not?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 08:14:12 AM »
I'd have to research how well an auto updater works with GateKeeper and how well it would work with our crash reporting system.  At this time there are much higher priorities for our development resources.

-Kirk