Author Topic: Hide disks from Ingest dialog  (Read 2636 times)

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
Hide disks from Ingest dialog
« on: December 03, 2018, 06:45:10 PM »
As described here (http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=11694.0) there is a mechanism to prevent external drives from appearing in PM's ingest dialog. However, since I don't want PMIngestIgnore folders cluttering up my drives, and making hidden folders is fiddly (on OS X at least), would it be possible to add a function within PM to create hidden PMIngestIgnore folders on demand? Maybe the Ingest dialog would be the place to add it - have an "Ignore this Drive" function that is greyed out until a disk is selected. You would also need a "Show Hidden Drives" button to reveal any connected drives that you need to see again.

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
Re: Hide disks from Ingest dialog
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 03:36:18 AM »
FWIW creating a hidden folder on macOS is now a little simpler (I think since 10.13, maybe earlier).

• Press cmd-shift-. to show invisible items
  • Create a folder and name it (in this case 'PMIngestIgnore')
  • Select the newly created folder and press cmd-i (or right click...Get Info)
  • Add a full-stop/period at the beginning of the filename in the 'Name & Extension' section of the Get Info window (in this case '.PMIngestIgnore')
  • Close the Get Info window (or press return/enter) then select "Okay" at the "Are you sure..." prompt
  • Press cmd-shift-. to re-hide invisible items

Okay, it's still mildly fiddly (but it takes w-a-a-y longer to read these overly explicit instructions than to actually create the hidden folder! :) ), but at least it doesn't involve using other apps or typing arcane instructions into Terminal etc. - however...

... a checkbox within PM would be far far easier and more discoverable, great suggestion.

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
Re: Hide disks from Ingest dialog
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 04:40:56 AM »

• Press cmd-shift-. to show invisible items

That's a great keyboard shortcut tip, thank you!