Author Topic: No Preview with RAW Files  (Read 5060 times)

Offline Click

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
No Preview with RAW Files
« on: December 09, 2018, 02:13:25 PM »
After ingesting files from compact flash cards the CR2 files have no preview.

Window 10
Canon 1DX Mark 2
Shooting RAW + JPG

I have tried the same workflow with files from a Canon 1DX Mark 1 and there is a preview. I have two photographers using the Mark 2 and the problem happens with both.

I do need to keep the RAW and JPG separate as they are used for different workflows.

Can you please help?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: No Preview with RAW Files
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 02:51:40 PM »
After ingesting files from compact flash cards the CR2 files have no preview.

Window 10
Canon 1DX Mark 2
Shooting RAW + JPG

I have tried the same workflow with files from a Canon 1DX Mark 1 and there is a preview. I have two photographers using the Mark 2 and the problem happens with both.

I do need to keep the RAW and JPG separate as they are used for different workflows.

Can you please help?

What version of Photo Mechanic are you using?

-Kirk

Offline Click

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 02:53:32 PM »
The most recent, it was downloaded last week

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 04:23:09 PM »
Photo Mechanic 5, build 19720 is the most recent version of Photo Mechanic.

Is that the version that you have?

If so, PM should be able to display the embedded previews in CR2 files produced by the Canon 1D Mark II camera.  What RAW mode are you shooting in?  Standard RAW or M or S?

Can you provide a sample RAW image that PM cannot display?

-Kirk

Offline Click

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 09:17:28 PM »
Thanks,

Yes this is the version I have. The RAW mode is Standard. I cannot attach a sample RAW as they are 24MB.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 09:24:38 PM »
Thanks,

Yes this is the version I have. The RAW mode is Standard. I cannot attach a sample RAW as they are 24MB.

Can you put the file on a server and give me a download link?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Click

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 09:25:16 PM »
Below is a link to a CR2 that has not been ingested, this is straight out of the camera. This workflow would be ingested by Windows and stored in (Lennox) and edited in Windows.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhVj1KzqpUnz2a1ln5cWTfmUN3MJFw

Below are four examples of the other photographer, this workflow is ingested by Mac, stored in Lennox and edited in Windows.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhVj1KzqpUnz1oo1zgezKaDabsqHUA

Thanks Again for your help.

Offline Click

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 09:26:24 PM »
The second link has already been ingested using a Mac.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 02:34:28 AM »
I tried viewing the 5 examples on my Mac: all had a preview. So if this is a PM issue, it's either Windows-only, or there's something on your system that's causing this issue (with PM).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Graham1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 05:38:39 AM »
All are fine on my Windows 10 system, with latest version of PM.  I also have my own 1DX II camera, and have never had any problem with any of its images (including over 1,000 taken over the weekend, blasting away at birds in my back garden!).

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 06:00:51 AM »
Below is a link to a CR2 that has not been ingested, this is straight out of the camera. This workflow would be ingested by Windows and stored in (Lennox) and edited in Windows.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhVj1KzqpUnz2a1ln5cWTfmUN3MJFw

Below are four examples of the other photographer, this workflow is ingested by Mac, stored in Lennox and edited in Windows.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhVj1KzqpUnz1oo1zgezKaDabsqHUA

Thanks Again for your help.

What happens if you browse the photos on the card?  Does PM show them then?

What is "Lennox"?

-Kirk

Offline Click

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 11:54:27 AM »
Sorry, Linux is what I meant.

The problem only exists post ingestion. The preview is being lost. Even in OneDrive the preview is lost whereas with the Canon 1DX Mark 1 it is not. I have photographer running a myriad of cameras across multiple sates including Nikon D4, D5 and the d500. Canon 5d, and 7d's. The only problem I am having is with the 1DX Mark 2. Each is ingesting the photos prior to uploading to our FTP. The second Canon 1DX Mark 2 is a tenured PM user and the problem started when he upgraded front he Mark 1 to Mark 2. I have since downloaded PM and use both Mark 1 and Mark 2 and am only experiencing the problem with the Mark 2.

With the !DX Mark 2 user that is Mac based he can see a preview it is only in Windows and Linux we cannot.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 11:59:57 AM by Click »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 12:35:10 PM »
Sorry, Linux is what I meant.

The problem only exists post ingestion. The preview is being lost. Even in OneDrive the preview is lost whereas with the Canon 1DX Mark 1 it is not. I have photographer running a myriad of cameras across multiple sates including Nikon D4, D5 and the d500. Canon 5d, and 7d's. The only problem I am having is with the 1DX Mark 2. Each is ingesting the photos prior to uploading to our FTP. The second Canon 1DX Mark 2 is a tenured PM user and the problem started when he upgraded front he Mark 1 to Mark 2. I have since downloaded PM and use both Mark 1 and Mark 2 and am only experiencing the problem with the Mark 2.

With the 1DX Mark 2 user that is Mac based he can see a preview it is only in Windows and Linux we cannot.

I have downloaded your four "examples of the other photographer", the one image (not ingested) and all show up fine in PM5 on my Windows system.

Can you post an image that produces the problem, or tell me which of the five images produce the problem?

And to be clear, you cannot see the previews in Photo Mechanic after they have been ingested?  Or is the problem only occurring in some other software?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Click

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 02:05:54 PM »
Hello Kirk,

In the images supplied all are producing the problem. When I ingest all 5 files myself I can see the preview in PM, the RAW + jpg is flattened to a single view. 

Since messaging I have gone through setting after setting and made changes under preferences, I have read the manual head to toe twice (to be honest for this problem it was not helpful). In making the changes I have rectified the problem on my end only and because I am unsure what solved the problem cannot advise external staff how to solve the problem. Key things I did change were extension lowercase as opposed to upper, changing the RAW + jpg to editing the RAW not jpg

When I ingest the CR2 files provided by the other photographer (see the four CR2 files link) I can see the image in PM but there is no preview in the folder on Windows.

When viewing whilst I see the benefits of contact sheets with up tp 10TB of information being received from multiple sources weekly and having workflows that extend far beyond Photoshop this is not a priority. I am also have challenges integrating PM with Linux.

My key goal is to change file names to avoid duplication of names, generate low res thumbnails for pubic facing viewing, ensuring the integrity of files being received from staff in the field (e.g.: not be able to see  previews when staff ingest in the field and upload is not acceptable), removing and modifying EXIF data to resolve how staff currently set their cameras as they forget all the time to reset cameras to our specifications. I do not wish to have to reingest photos provided by staff in the field they should be able to get it right.

The preview is critical for all cameras, PM is performing to my initial requirements in every other way.

*** When I can preview CR2's in Windows file folders I can view in Linux. My issues are retrieving files from Linux for ingestion. I am not looking to solve this problem. The only problem I wish to solve is to ensure a preview is available.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:20:40 PM by Click »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 04:19:20 PM »
Hello Kirk,

In the images supplied all are producing the problem. When I ingest all 5 files myself I can see the preview in PM, the RAW + jpg is flattened to a single view. 

Since messaging I have gone through setting after setting and made changes under preferences, I have read the manual head to toe twice (to be honest for this problem it was not helpful). In making the changes I have rectified the problem on my end only and because I am unsure what solved the problem cannot advise external staff how to solve the problem. Key things I did change were extension lowercase as opposed to upper, changing the RAW + jpg to editing the RAW not jpg

When I ingest the CR2 files provided by the other photographer (see the four CR2 files link) I can see the image in PM but there is no preview in the folder on Windows.

When viewing whilst I see the benefits of contact sheets with up tp 10TB of information being received from multiple sources weekly and having workflows that extend far beyond Photoshop this is not a priority. I am also have challenges integrating PM with Linux.

My key goal is to change file names to avoid duplication of names, generate low res thumbnails for pubic facing viewing, ensuring the integrity of files being received from staff in the field (e.g.: not be able to see  previews when staff ingest in the field and upload is not acceptable), removing and modifying EXIF data to resolve how staff currently set their cameras as they forget all the time to reset cameras to our specifications. I do not wish to have to reingest photos provided by staff in the field they should be able to get it right.

The preview is critical for all cameras, PM is performing to my initial requirements in every other way.

*** When I can preview CR2's in Windows file folders I can view in Linux. My issues are retrieving files from Linux for ingestion. I am not looking to solve this problem. The only problem I wish to solve is to ensure a preview is available.

Are you using XMP sidecar files for metadata or are you having PM embed metadata into your RAW files?  Some applications/OSes are incompatible with modified RAW files.  PM does not remove previews.  But naive software that doesn't interpret RAW files properly will have problems with RAW files that have metadata inserted into them.  Moving to an XMP sidecar file workflow should solve this problem because the RAW file is never modified.

If you're unsure of your settings, please post a screenshot of your IPTC/XMP settings from the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

[EDIT]: I looked at your set of four processed images and I can tell that you're embedding XMP into your RAW files.  I suggest changing to an XMP sidecar workflow.  You can do this by clicking on the snapshot button (has a little lightning bolt icon on it) and choosing the [Adobe products] item.  This will only affect images that are newly processed.  To fix any of your existing images that won't preview, you can select them in PM, and then use the "Revert TIFF-based RAW to original" command on the Tools menu.  Make sure to set the "Backup IPTC/XMP to XMP sidecar files" to checked.

Thanks,

-Kirk
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 04:39:47 PM by Kirk Baker »