Author Topic: Can't Upload via cellular Hotspot  (Read 6160 times)

Offline gmiddendorf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can't Upload via cellular Hotspot
« on: December 13, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »
I transmit photos through my hotspot for a local paper. I've been doing this for years and recently out of the blue I can't send photos via my hotspot anymore. I get a [error: Received incomplete response line. ]. I didn't make any changes. I can connect to the internet through my hotspot but can't send via Photo Mechanic. I can send when connected to WiFi. I work on a MacBook Pro OS X 10.9.5 (13F1911), I use an iPhone 8 Plus iOS 12.1.1 and my Photo Mechanic version is Version 5.0, build 19720 (f9d08d8). Any help would be greatly appreciated as its become a major headache since I work on tight deadlines.

Offline gmiddendorf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Upload via cellular Hotspot
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 02:28:51 PM »
I also should note I can send photos when I connect to my writers hotspot. So it seems highly likely its something to do with my phone.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 02:47:13 PM »
I also should note I can send photos when I connect to my writers hotspot. So it seems highly likely its something to do with my phone.

Are you using T-Mobile as your cellular provider?  If so, they require that all communications use ipv6 connections which Photo Mechanic does not support.

-Kirk

Offline gmiddendorf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 12:37:20 AM »
Was this a recent change? Because I?ve been using T-Mobile hotspot for a couple years now with Photo Mechanics and never had an issue.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 07:55:23 AM »
Was this a recent change? Because I've been using T-Mobile hotspot for a couple years now with Photo Mechanics and never had an issue.

Yes, the change happened about a month ago.  The change was made by T-Mobile, but only for iPhone.  Android users are not affected.

-Kirk

Offline gmiddendorf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 08:42:46 AM »
Are to planning to support iPv6 since iPv4 addresses are exhausted? I thought I read that 4G and soon 5G are only iPv6.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 02:33:19 PM »
Are to planning to support iPv6 since iPv4 addresses are exhausted? I thought I read that 4G and soon 5G are only iPv6.

Yes, we are planning to add iPv6 support in Photo Mechanic 6.

-Kirk

Offline jwoods

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 04:00:54 PM »
I'm using Photomechanic 6 on a MacBook Air using OS 10.14.1 with an iPhone with iOS 12.2.2. I have the exact same ftp upload problem. You mentioned previously that PM 6 would correct this problem. Are there settings that I need to change to make things work?

Offline bfeinzimer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 04:46:57 PM »
Curious on this as well since I use and iPhone/T-Mob hotspot

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 05:24:30 PM »
I'm using Photomechanic 6 on a MacBook Air using OS 10.14.1 with an iPhone with iOS 12.2.2. I have the exact same ftp upload problem. You mentioned previously that PM 6 would correct this problem. Are there settings that I need to change to make things work?

Please use the FTP v6 uploader as it supports IPv6 addresses.

HTH,

-Jerry

Offline jwoods

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 06:00:00 PM »
That's what I thought might be the case, but it looks like my client's connection settings do not carry over to FTP v6. Does PM have a way of carrying these over automatically or do they have to be re-entered manually? Will the FTP connection settings even work or is likely that the FTP settings are different from FTP v6 settings and so I will have to contact my clients for their FTP v6 settings?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 06:07:52 PM »
That's what I thought might be the case, but it looks like my client's connection settings do not carry over to FTP v6. Does PM have a way of carrying these over automatically or do they have to be re-entered manually? Will the FTP connection settings even work or is likely that the FTP settings are different from FTP v6 settings and so I will have to contact my clients for their FTP v6 settings?

Are the server addresses symbolic (ftp.companyname.com) or are they IP addresses 10.12.223.18 ?  If they're symbolic then I expect that they'd work.  If they're IP addresses, then you'll need the IPv6 equivalents.

-Kirk

Offline jwoods

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 06:41:45 PM »
Fortunately most are symbolic. I will give it a try and report back. Thank you for your quick replies!