Photo Mechanic > General Discussion

PM6 and EIP

(1/2) > >>

Soizic:
Hello
I work with CaptureOne and use sometimes extension EIP ; PM5 does not display such files, may I hope PM6 display them ?

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: Soizic on December 19, 2018, 12:23:55 AM ---Hello
I work with CaptureOne and use sometimes extension EIP ; PM5 does not display such files, may I hope PM6 display them ?

--- End quote ---

What is an EIP file?

-Kirk

Odd Skjaeveland:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on December 19, 2018, 06:48:06 AM ---What is an EIP file?

--- End quote ---

Enhanced Image Package file or EIP is a kind of file that is probably never seen outside the universe of Capture One.

As an alternative to keeping raw files and housekeeping data in separate files, Capture One can enclose it all in a zip and change the extension to eip. The raw file is moved inside the EIP and one file with all housekeeping info can be copied/moved within the Capture One universe.

Capture One works transparently with EIPs just as if they were raw files, the user can selectively pack/unpack and work with raw or EIP on a file by file basis. In an environment where image files are transferred from one computer to the next as part of a production line, it probably makes sense to pack all raw files as EIP.

I never investigated the relationship between a EIP and a XMP sidecar file, but I would guess the XMP should be treated the same as with normal raw files.  Unpacking the EIP to update raw file metadata and repack to EIP may potentially break a Capture One checksum (I don't know if there is one).

Kirk Baker:
This doesn't sound like the kind of thing that PM should support.

-Kirk

Odd Skjaeveland:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on December 20, 2018, 12:02:18 AM ---This doesn't sound like the kind of thing that PM should support.
--- End quote ---

I think Soizic only asks for PM to display the images, not to update EIP content. Unzipping the EIP and pulling the embedded jpegs from the raw file may be what it takes to do that, but it would of course add to the current processing.

EIPs are not part of my normal workflow as I rarely ship images for someone to continue my Capture One work. Between computers I copy/move the session folders (same for backups). EIP would probably be useful as part of a communication with Capture One support. I use PM as front end and back end for a few processing applications, including Capture One, and I would probably not use EIP even if PM supported it. Soizic may be in a completely different situation and can probably explain the rationale for using EIP.

Capture One users reading this should note that Phase One does not recommend EIP with Capture One operating in Catalog Mode, it is a Session Mode thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version