Author Topic: Wrong Orientation after editing photos  (Read 3774 times)

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
Wrong Orientation after editing photos
« on: December 19, 2018, 05:51:49 AM »
Editing a raw (.rw2) file in DXO PhotoLab 2 with portrait orientation will return a .jpg file that is shown in horizontal orientation in PM. In my contact sheet I will have a horizontal oriented jpg and a portrait oriented raw file.

The same jpg file is shown in portrait orientation in DXO PhotoLab 2 and ?Finder? as well as other apps I use.

?Exif Orientation? of these photos in portrait orientations is coded ?Rotate 270CW? for Raw files and ?Horizontal (Normal)? for edited jpgs.

This started some time ago and I have not been able to find a solution.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Wrong Orientation after editing photos
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 09:04:30 AM »
Editing a raw (.rw2) file in DXO PhotoLab 2 with portrait orientation will return a .jpg file that is shown in horizontal orientation in PM. In my contact sheet I will have a horizontal oriented jpg and a portrait oriented raw file.

The same jpg file is shown in portrait orientation in DXO PhotoLab 2 and ?Finder? as well as other apps I use.

?Exif Orientation? of these photos in portrait orientations is coded ?Rotate 270CW? for Raw files and ?Horizontal (Normal)? for edited jpgs.

This started some time ago and I have not been able to find a solution.

Please post a sample image that exhibits the problem.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG image.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 09:57:37 AM »
Kirk,

I have tried several times to attach a 2.8 MB jpg file without success. A message say its either too big or take too long to upload.

Thanks,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 11:55:49 AM »
Lars,

I have tried several times to attach a 2.8 MB jpg file without success. A message say its either too big or take too long to upload.

Could you scale it down?  It could be a 5 quality, 160x100 thumbnail as long as it illustrates the problem.

-Kirk

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 12:17:08 PM »
Kirk,

A new try with small file

Lars

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »
Kirk,

A screenshot illustrates better

Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »
Lars,

Thanks for the sample and the screen shot.  I examined the sample image with ExifTool and it indicates that it should be rotated (Orientation is not zero).  The image is indeed taller than wide and doesn't need the Orientation set.  PM pays attention to the Orientation value and you can see in your screen shot that the image is soft-rotated.

I don't know why DxO would put the Orientation tag set to a non-zero value if it has already rotated the image when it produced the JPEG data.  It shouldn't be doing that.  The reason other apps aren't showing the image on its side is likely because they ignore the Orientation data.

-Kirk

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 01:08:09 AM »
Kirk,

Thank you for your help. Will talk to DxO.

Lars