Author Topic: Help with FIND over multiple sheets  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Toddk68

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Help with FIND over multiple sheets
« on: February 26, 2019, 07:04:26 AM »
I am wondering if there is any way to script or automate a sports project I am working on.  I have about 5000 images spread across 4 directories (contact sheets).
I have added keywords to each of them that correspond to jersey numbers (7,17,1, etc).  Some images have 1 keyword, others have 6 or more depending on the contents of the photograph.

I now need to collect all of the keywords into separate directories.  In other words, I need a directory of all of the images that contain keyword '4'.

As of now, I plan to run a find in contact sheet #1 for keyword '4', copy those to a new directory named '4', then go to contact sheet #2 and repeat.  Then repeat the same process for an additional 25 jersey numbers (keywords).

Could I perhaps move all of the image files into one folder and run the find?  Will the keywords stay with the image?

I am relatively new to PM, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Todd

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
Re: Help with FIND over multiple sheets
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 08:26:35 AM »
Could I perhaps move all of the image files into one folder and run the find?  Will the keywords stay with the image?

Yes, the keywords are embedded into the images so they will "follow" the photos wherever you put them on disk.

However you can also create a combined contact sheet of multiple directories if you want to avoid moving the images around.

Using the Navigator reveal the folders you want to view at once. Double-Click the first to open it in the Contact Sheet. Then Right-Click on the others, one at a time, and select "Open in Current Contact Sheet."
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Toddk68

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 10:51:34 PM »
Thanks Kevin, this works well.  I am actually having another problem now, I have a keyword of "1" on some images and now when I try to search for 1, it actually find any keyword with a 1 in it (like 16).
How do I tell PM, I want to select the item only if the whole keyword, not any part of the keyword is a 1?

Offline Toddk68

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 06:02:49 AM »
And now that I am reading some of the other posts, it sounds like I am looking for the "whole word option", which doesn't exist.  This is really bad for me because I have spent days keywording with jersey numbers, and now I can't get them back out.

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 06:04:29 AM »
I've never tried searching on numbers like that, but I take it putting it in quotes as "1" doesn't work?
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Toddk68

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 06:07:05 AM »
I wish.  I tried that, as well as "1," and " 1," and "1;" and any other iteration of 1's, commas, semicolons, and quotation marks.  (those were suggestions that apparently worked for some others looking for a workaround for the whole-word search)

Offline Toddk68

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 01:27:33 PM »
Future Readers:
Maybe all of you know this, and maybe this solution won't work for you, but it is at least worth knowing that if you click the header in Windows Explorer, not only can you sort, but you can also filter.  So if you have tags on your files, you can filter them directly in Windows Explorer.

See screenshot attachment.