Author Topic: Problem with ejecting the memory card  (Read 3599 times)

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem with ejecting the memory card
« on: October 11, 2018, 03:13:05 AM »
Hi!

Does anyone else experience problems with ejecting memory cards on MacOS Mojave? In the Ingest dialog I have the "Unmount Source Disk(s) After Ingest" checked, but after updating to Mojave, it won't eject the cart and I get "The disk could not be ejected because it is in use" pop-up.

Also, if I try and eject the memory card (XQD card, different cards, different card readers, same problem persists) from the Finder or Desktop I get the "The disk "NIKON DXXX" couldn't be ejected because "Photo Mechanic 5" is using it. Quit that application and try to eject the disk again." pop-up.

It is quite an annoyance, as usually, when ingesting, the folder opens up, and you just continue your work, but now, I have to quit Photo Mechanic, eject the card, find the folder again, open it and then continue to work.

Running on MacBook Pro 13 2017; Mojave 10.14; Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 19695 (4a8c3fe)

Anyone else have this problem?

Best,
Jure
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:14:36 AM by DizzyReed »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem with ejecting the memory card
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 08:01:39 AM »
Jure,

Does anyone else experience problems with ejecting memory cards on MacOS Mojave? In the Ingest dialog I have the "Unmount Source Disk(s) After Ingest" checked, but after updating to Mojave, it won't eject the cart and I get "The disk could not be ejected because it is in use" pop-up.

Also, if I try and eject the memory card (XQD card, different cards, different card readers, same problem persists) from the Finder or Desktop I get the "The disk "NIKON DXXX" couldn't be ejected because "Photo Mechanic 5" is using it. Quit that application and try to eject the disk again." pop-up.

It is quite an annoyance, as usually, when ingesting, the folder opens up, and you just continue your work, but now, I have to quit Photo Mechanic, eject the card, find the folder again, open it and then continue to work.

Are you only Ingesting the card, or are you also browsing it with Photo Mechanic?

-Kirk

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 12:40:12 PM »
Ingest only.
Automatic pop-up when card is detected by the system, then set the destination, hit the Ingest and after the ingest is done it also unmounts/ejects the card - but not anymore.

Tomorrow, I have some more jobs and will keep an eye on the unmount/ejection problem.

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 06:39:30 AM »
My Mac, (OS Mojave 10.14.2, PM V5.0 build 19728) on it own, keeps "ejecting" then remounting the XQD cad in a Lexar Professional Workflow HR2. Every time it remounts, the PM ingest dialog box reopens.

My Ingest settings and general preferences are shown on the attached.

This is new behavior since installing Mojave.

-Mick

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 08:25:58 AM »
no problem with PM and Mojave
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 09:25:09 AM »
I believe that it's Apple's Image Capture app that controls the launching of PM when a card is mounted.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=Configure_Image_Capture_Manually

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 09:58:27 AM »
Mick,

My Mac, (OS Mojave 10.14.2, PM V5.0 build 19728) on it own, keeps "ejecting" then remounting the XQD cad in a Lexar Professional Workflow HR2. Every time it remounts, the PM ingest dialog box reopens.

My Ingest settings and general preferences are shown on the attached.

This is new behavior since installing Mojave.

Sounds like you need to contact Apple or Lexar on this issue.  If the OS tells PM that a disk has been mounted and you have PM set to show the Ingest dialog then PM is going to show the Ingest dialog.  If this becomes too bothersome, then you could have PM do nothing when a disk is mounted and you'll have to manually bring up the Ingest dialog.

Mojave is a relatively new OS release and hasn't had many updates.  It is not uncommon for initial macOS releases to have a number of subtle bugs in them.

-Kirk