Author Topic: Google Maps?  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Joesboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Google Maps?
« on: January 13, 2019, 12:04:48 PM »
I assume that PM is using Google Maps or a derivative because when I input a Lat,Long pair such as 30.2400741,120.1402852 (Eastern China) I find myself in the middle of a lake with PM and Google Maps, on the other hand Apple Maps, Bing Maps and OpenCycle Maps properly put me on the Island in the Lake where I most assuredly was when the image was taken. So if i use PM to add geolocation to an image, I wonder if the coordinates are correct.  Also am I correct about this issue or using PM incorrectly?

I have noticed that all of my images in China display an incorrect map location using PM map so maybe we could get to pick our maps.

Thanks
Bob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Google Maps?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 12:23:30 PM »
I assume that PM is using Google Maps or a derivative because when I input a Lat,Long pair such as 30.2400741,120.1402852 (Eastern China) I find myself in the middle of a lake with PM and Google Maps, on the other hand Apple Maps, Bing Maps and OpenCycle Maps properly put me on the Island in the Lake where I most assuredly was when the image was taken. So if i use PM to add geolocation to an image, I wonder if the coordinates are correct.  Also am I correct about this issue or using PM incorrectly?

I have noticed that all of my images in China display an incorrect map location using PM map so maybe we could get to pick our maps.

PM does indeed use Google Maps.  PM isn't going to change the coordinates that you enter.  If they don't display properly, they'll still be recorded correctly.

Having PM use multiple map interfaces is not something we're likely to do since the work required would be significant.

Have you tried reporting the error to Google?

-Kirk

Offline Joesboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Google Maps?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 06:17:27 AM »
I know the data are not changed by PM and of course I haven't reported this to Google. I really try to avoid them and now that I know not to use the PM map to extract keyword info I can do just fine with other sources.  btw PhotoLinker does a fine job of handling this stuff and putting geocode data into the Exif and xmp locations
Thanks - Adios