Author Topic: Touchpad scrolling not working properly  (Read 2455 times)

Offline olidie

• View Profile
Touchpad scrolling not working properly
« on: January 07, 2019, 08:41:11 AM »
Hello,

I am currently setting up a new laptop (Dell XPS 13 with a Presicion Touchpad; Windows Pro x64 1809, PM5 Build 19728) and encountered a problem that I can't solve: two-finger scrolling on the touchpad is not working properly. Here are the problems:

When I trying to scroll a contact sheet PM is only reacting if I move the two finger very quickly across the touchpad. This results in a pretty unusable behaviour of too rapid and uncontrolable movement. I then tried to scroll through pictures using the same two-finger method when viewing pictures in Preview mode. In this case it does not matter if I scroll up or down the pictures are only scrolled in one direction towards the last picture of the contact sheet. When the end is reached I am stuck with that picture since I can not scroll in the other direction. A USB mouse elimates all problems completely but I not the route I want to take on a laptop. The touchpad scrolling is working flawlessly in Lightroom.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I can't say if it's a PM or Windows problem since scrolling in all other programs works like a charm.

Thanks for any ideas in advance

Oliver

Edit: I did just try the touchpad scrolling on a Lenovo ThinkPad (Precision Touchpad by Elan) with Win x64 1803 and PM 5 build 19695. It scrolls a tiny bit smoother but not significantly. Also I found Adobe Bridge CC 2018 as the only software exhibiting pretty similar behaviour.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:12:49 AM by olidie »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Touchpad scrolling not working properly
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 10:09:49 AM »
Sounds like your touchpad only puts out mousewheel events once it hits a high threshold.  PM5 does not respond to 'gestures' like the pan gesture.

Are there any settings that control how much pan gesture movement translates into mousewheel events?

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 10:23:06 AM »
Sounds like your touchpad only puts out mousewheel events once it hits a high threshold.  PM5 does not respond to 'gestures' like the pan gesture.

Thanks alot, Kirk! That is one of the possibities I also found when searching this phenomenon.

Are there any settings that control how much pan gesture movement translates into mousewheel events?

I could not find any. Precision touchpads are controlled by windows drivers, not by drivers of the manufacturer. On my Dell XPS there are no manufacturer settings, just Windows settings for mouse and touchpad. I will further investigate.

Offline bhousto90

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 11:11:56 AM »
In the Windows 10 mouse settings screen try changing the option "Choose how many lines to scroll each time" from default of 3 to 1 line.
That setting improved the pan scrolling for my Dell laptop.

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 11:29:16 PM »
In the Windows 10 mouse settings screen try changing the option "Choose how many lines to scroll each time" from default of 3 to 1 line.
That setting improved the pan scrolling for my Dell laptop.

Thank you for that hint but it did not really improve it too much. The main issue for me is that slow and smooth swipes on the touchpad are not registered but only quite accelerated swipes.