Author Topic: Rename snapshots available whereever rename is possible  (Read 9491 times)

Offline olidie

• View Profile
Rename snapshots available whereever rename is possible
« on: October 29, 2014, 12:48:04 PM »
I would love to see the possibility to access the rename snapshots whereever the rename option is given. A lot of times I find myself aborting menues just to go back to the rename menue to get a certrain rename structure I assembled and took a snapshot off.

Best
Oliver

Offline olidie

• View Profile
Re: Rename snapshots available whereever rename is possible
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 03:58:48 AM »
I would like to renew this request. Too often I find myself in the Copy/Move option or in the Save dialogue looking for the correct rename string. Sure I could save new snapshots in each and every dialogue but this would bloat the presets way more than access to one general rename snapshot menu.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 08:52:20 AM »
I would like to renew this request. Too often I find myself in the Copy/Move option or in the Save dialogue looking for the correct rename string. Sure I could save new snapshots in each and every dialogue but this would bloat the presets way more than access to one general rename snapshot menu.

The problem is that a snapshot is specific to a particular dialog and contains all of the settings for that dialog which may or may not include a renaming string.  Loading a Save as snapshot in the Copy/Move dialog won't work properly and vice-versa.

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 09:20:31 AM »
Thanks Kirk. Maybe I was not able to get my idea across clearly. It's only about the renaming feature. I would like to able to access my rename snapshots from other menues where renaming is offered.

Too often I have to exit a menue and open the rename menue to copy a rename string to paste it into the formerly open menue. I don't think this would interfer with let's say a copy/move snapshot since this snapshot could still use the rename string at the time it was taken. Just like now. It would just give me access to my rename strings in other menues without having to save snapshots in other menues e.g. copy/move for every of my rename string.

Another advantage: let's say I renamed a batch of pictures while copying them from the card to the harddrive. Now I want to save some other pictures in a smaller format via STRG+S. The save window now has the rename string from the former copy process. Now I have to select the snapshot for my copy process although all setting were unchanged since the last use except for the renaming.

Oliver

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 11:13:19 AM »
Oliver,

Thanks Kirk. Maybe I was not able to get my idea across clearly. It's only about the renaming feature. I would like to able to access my rename snapshots from other menues where renaming is offered.

Too often I have to exit a menue and open the rename menue to copy a rename string to paste it into the formerly open menue. I don't think this would interfer with let's say a copy/move snapshot since this snapshot could still use the rename string at the time it was taken. Just like now. It would just give me access to my rename strings in other menues without having to save snapshots in other menues e.g. copy/move for every of my rename string.

Another advantage: let's say I renamed a batch of pictures while copying them from the card to the harddrive. Now I want to save some other pictures in a smaller format via STRG+S. The save window now has the rename string from the former copy process. Now I have to select the snapshot for my copy process although all setting were unchanged since the last use except for the renaming.

I understand that all you want to load is the "rename string" from some other setting, but it's just not doable with the way the snapshot system works.  The snapshot button used in one dialog doesn't "know" about any of the other dialogs, their snapshots, what is contained in their snapshots.  I'm sure what you're asking could be done, but it would require a fair amount of tweaking of things, making knowledge of one dialog coupled with another, etc.

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 11:31:23 AM »
Thanks, Kirk. I do not want a rename string from some other setting of this menue but from the STRG-M rename menue. The snapshot of the menue like copy/move could work unchanged just like now. Would a dropdown menu in the rename field of any given menue be thinkable?

Oliver
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 11:35:23 AM by olidie »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 01:42:23 PM »
Oliver,

Thanks, Kirk. I do not want a rename string from some other setting of this menue but from the STRG-M rename menue. The snapshot of the menue like copy/move could work unchanged just like now. Would a dropdown menu in the rename field of any given menue be thinkable?

That's more doable, yes.  I'm not sure when we'd take it on however.

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 02:20:29 PM »
Since I do not plan to give up using PM anytime in the foreseeable future I will continue working with your great programme and will see what the future might bring. Thanks, Kirk!

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 12:45:42 PM »
Hoping that something like this is implemtent in PM6. Too often extra clicks are needed because of the rename field. Or at least unlinking the rename field from e.g. the Save menu and the Copy Menu.