Author Topic: Any Further Update On 64bit Upgrade?  (Read 5362 times)

Offline David Murray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Any Further Update On 64bit Upgrade?
« on: January 10, 2019, 07:59:33 PM »

Hi, I'm David and this is my first post.   I have PM version 5.0 and I have Mac Version 10.14.2 . Build # 19728 (3c52d76)

Lately I have been getting notices from Mac that any apps that are 32 bits will not work with their next update. Photo Mechanic is the only one that is still 32. I have read another post from last year suggesting that as of March things were coming along and that all would be ready in time.  I am hoping that his will be soon as I rely on PM for all of my work.  Can you please give an assessment as to how much longer before the new 64bit version is out?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:03:27 PM by David Murray »

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Any Further Update On 64bit Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 08:12:29 AM »
Welcome. Thanks for checking in. The next major release of Photo Mechanic will be fully 64-bit, but a release date has not been announced.

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 09:40:56 AM »
Welcome. Thanks for checking in. The next major release of Photo Mechanic will be fully 64-bit, but a release date has not been announced.

-Mick

Can you give any ideas - 1st, 2nd, 3rd or hopefully not 4th quarter.

Offline David Murray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 10:01:49 AM »

-Mick

Right.  I would feel better if there was some sort of projected schedule, even if it is simply a ballpark prediction.  I am...and am probably not alone in thinking, that to upgrade my laptop when the next time comes would make it impossible to use PM for that gap.... however long.  OR, not upgrade the computer and risk security issues with an older mac program.  It is uncomfortable either way....

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 10:56:37 AM »
Thanks for the interest.  There are no ballpark estimates at this time.

-Mick 
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 04:00:46 AM »

-Mick

As some one who has been putting off for years and years fully committing to an alternative  DAM, in anticipation of PM6, you do realise how badly it comes across to go from a "no ballpark estimates position" until last year, when it became a  "before the end of 2018, even if it kills us position" and then back to a "no ballpark estimates position".

You obviously need to do what you need to do, and I appreciate why you don't want to release PM6 before you are happy that its ready to release, but none the less this is a bit disappointing, and I do wonder if there is any way of keeping users a bit better informed on progress.

Cheers,
Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 06:47:35 AM »
Graham,

As some one who has been putting off for years and years fully committing to an alternative  DAM, in anticipation of PM6, you do realise how badly it comes across to go from a "no ballpark estimates position" until last year, when it became a  "before the end of 2018, even if it kills us position" and then back to a "no ballpark estimates position".

That was my fault.  I'm sorry for falsely raising everyone's expectations.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 07:15:43 AM »
That was my fault.  I'm sorry for falsely raising everyone's expectations.

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk, I do realise that no one is going to more desperate to get PM6 out the door than the Camera Bits team.  But on the back of your remark, I was hoping for at least a public beta before the end of last year, and when the end of the year promise wasn't met, I was naively hoping for a public beta in January/February. 

However, I am glad to see that that no one seems to have been killed over it !

Cheers,

Graham