Author Topic: Problem with PM embedded jpeg preview extraction. Orientation problem.  (Read 2678 times)

Offline photomy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I have used this tool a bit in the past but do not remember this problem.  Orientation is not being preserved correctly for the jpeg produced.  I really like how much FASTER PM jpgs come out compared to Capture NX-D, but I cannot to afford to  rotate all of the jpegs.  This seems like a pretty basic fix, but I cannot figure out the problem.

Thx, Tom

UPDATE:  I tried the rotation tool and this works - so, everything should be great.  Just curious why the extraction tool does not automatically apply the rotation tool steps without having to Select images and apply the rotation tool.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 10:30:03 AM by photomy »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem with PM embedded jpeg preview extraction. Orientation problem.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 10:49:17 AM »
Tom,

I have used this tool a bit in the past but do not remember this problem.  Orientation is not being preserved correctly for the jpeg produced.  I really like how much FASTER PM jpgs come out compared to Capture NX-D, but I cannot to afford to  rotate all of the jpegs.  This seems like a pretty basic fix, but I cannot figure out the problem.

UPDATE:  I tried the rotation tool and this works - so, everything should be great.  Just curious why the extraction tool does not automatically apply the rotation tool steps without having to Select images and apply the rotation tool.

Because the JPEG data stored in the RAW file is not rotated.  PM and other software that honors the orientation metadata rotates the image when displayed.  It would be possible to hard-rotate the extracted JPEG data but then the data would be very different from the original embedded JPEG data.  It could be an option, I suppose.

-Kirk