Author Topic: Error reading caption from photo  (Read 10952 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Error reading caption from photo
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 06:59:07 AM »
Richard,

I'm sorry you had trouble.  Good on you for having backups.  Very smart.

If you have images that can cause PM to crash, I'd be very keen on having them.  Please upload them to our FTP server and let me know the filenames and I'll look into what in particular PM doesn't like about them.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ralbrux

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 07:21:06 AM »
Kirk,

Well before posting today, I wanted to check things out as much as possible so as to be able to explain matters properly.  I did find a series of nef files with a caption caused PM to crash when opening the Info Window, by that I mean that it froze for several minutes and would no longer respond, leaving only a shut down and a restart to settle matters.   As I said before,  the first time I saw this was with an ampersand and I got a solution for that from the 2010 post I mentioned so I didn't bring it up in my initial post on caption problems.

Today, I used Find & Replace to replace all ampersands in all fields in all files with "and", so normally I have no more such files to send you.   As for the series I found today, they had a caption I wrote in French with some words carrying diacritical accents.  It seems that this french spelling is not really the problem since I have other files with French and they cause no problem.  I suspect some shenanigans from metadata writing by my previous DAM (IDI) or some inadvertent keystrokes when I was typing in the caption.

Anyway, earlier today I cleared all captions in that series and rewrote them.  So as far as I know I don't have any more files which cause a crash to send you.  If I find another one I will send it to you.

What I can give you is a copy of the caption I cleared form the series today;

Sculpture dite Tjenne en mémoire de Jeanne Michiels condamnée a tort au bûcher en 1667 comme une sorcière

Before writing this reply I went to a copy of another nef file opened the Info Window and pasted the above caption in.  Just pasting it in in the caption field caused to PM to freeze and require a shut down and a restart.

Will this help you?  Hope so.

Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 09:03:33 AM »
Richard,

I pasted your text "Sculpture dite Tjenne en mémoire de Jeanne Michiels condamnée a tort au bûcher en 1667 comme une sorcière" into one of my images and had no hangs of any kind on my system.

-Kirk

Offline ralbrux

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 09:28:54 AM »
Kirk,

I don't know.  I've pasted the caption into another file, this time a jpeg, and get the same problem, PM hangs for minutes.

What is the issue on my side?

In my Info Window IPTC  Encoding is set to "Microsoft 1 + Euro" and Write as Unicode is checked.   I think these are the defaults from install, no doubt based on System settings Windows (10 Pro).   Seems to me that this could be an issue.

Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 09:41:13 AM »
Richard,

I don't know.  I've pasted the caption into another file, this time a jpeg, and get the same problem, PM hangs for minutes.

What is the issue on my side?

In my Info Window IPTC  Encoding is set to "Microsoft 1 + Euro" and Write as Unicode is checked.   I think these are the defaults from install, no doubt based on System settings Windows (10 Pro).   Seems to me that this could be an issue.

I wonder if it is the spellchecker...  You could try turning off the spellchecker in the IPTC/XMP settings.

-Kirk

Offline ralbrux

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 09:50:35 AM »
Kirk,

That's it.  I turned off the spell checker and the problem no longer arises.

I was in the IPTC/XMP settings earlier today and looking at the spell checking settings to see if I could activate more than one dictionary, which I as far as I could see is not possible so I left it set to US English which is my mother tongue.

But living here n Belgium for more than 30 years I am bilingual in English & French.

So naturally enough I sometimes write captions in French.   And as I said, I saw in other image files which had French captions the problem did not arrive so I could not see any consistency in the issue.

But clearly enough is was playing a role here.

Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 10:04:37 AM »
Richard,

That's it.  I turned off the spell checker and the problem no longer arises.

OK.  Good to know.  In PM6 we will be using the Windows OS-provided spellchecker on Windows 8.1 and later, and the Microsoft Word spellchecker on Windows 7 if it is available.  Both can handle full Unicode text unlike the spellchecker we licensed years ago from a third party which is not Unicode-savvy.

For now, I'd suggest turning off the spellchecker.

-Kirk

Offline ralbrux

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 10:08:10 AM »
Kirk,

I've frequently seen examples of character confusion but until this time hadn't seen it causing problems.

Good, I'll be looking out v 6 of PM.

Richard