Author Topic: PM Window Arranging  (Read 5587 times)

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
PM Window Arranging
« on: April 01, 2007, 05:59:35 AM »
I am using PM 4.4.3.3 in Windows XP SR2. Somehow the windows in PM have started acting strangely. The contact sheet takes up the full screen, and the Navigator and Favorites windows can be resized or full screen, but not docked on the left (Or any other location. ) Consequently, the Navigator and Favorites windows cover part of the Contact Sheet anytime they are displayed. Formerly, they docked nicely on the left and the contact sheet filled the rest of the PM desktop with all of the images in view.

How do I get back to that arrangement?

Mick

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
Re: PM Window Arranging
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 06:14:07 AM »
Nevermind, I found it.

Hold the shift key while starting PM until it starts.

Don't open a contact sheet on start-up.

The Navigator and Favorites will display on the left, side by side, full height. Make sure "allow docking" is checked by right clicking on each title bar.

Close one of them (whichever you'll want on the lower part of the screen).

Open a Contact Sheet.

Open whichever pane you previously closed, and it should display on the left below the other pane, both docked on the left, with the Contact Sheet pane taking up the remainder of the PM window.

Is there some sort of "Arrange Windows" menu item in the new version?

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 06:25:03 AM »
Mick,

Is there some sort of "Arrange Windows" menu item in the new version?

No, there is not an "Arrange Windows" menu item.  What would that do by the way?

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 07:22:09 AM »
Kirk:

Most Windows apps, and Windows itself, have some sort of "Arrange Windows" item in the windows menu. This usually either tiles or cascades the open windows in the app, sometimes offering the choice of a vertical or horizontal arrangement. This could be useful in PM to see more than one catalog at a time.

Other apps, Dreamweaver comes to mind, have preset layouts that you can chose from, with the main window in one place and various tool or navigator windows in set places. I think Dreamweaver offers 2 or 3 preset arrangements you can choose from to suit your needs.

Perhaps for PM, it would be nice to just arrange the windows and save the arrangement, with possibly the option for more than one arangement to be saved, and recall one when needed. Or even just a restore default button somewhere.

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 07:47:33 AM »
Mick,

Most Windows apps, and Windows itself, have some sort of "Arrange Windows" item in the windows menu. This usually either tiles or cascades the open windows in the app, sometimes offering the choice of a vertical or horizontal arrangement. This could be useful in PM to see more than one catalog at a time.

Other apps, Dreamweaver comes to mind, have preset layouts that you can chose from, with the main window in one place and various tool or navigator windows in set places. I think Dreamweaver offers 2 or 3 preset arrangements you can choose from to suit your needs.

Perhaps for PM, it would be nice to just arrange the windows and save the arrangement, with possibly the option for more than one arangement to be saved, and recall one when needed. Or even just a restore default button somewhere.

I see.  Well, I'll consider it for a future version.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 12:05:11 PM »
Thanks, Kirk. This isn't a big deal.

I'd rather you spent time getting the Nikon Lens info into the Exif or IPTC fields in PM. That's the one annoyance I'd love to see solved.

Mick