Author Topic: side by side previews different magnifications  (Read 3229 times)

Offline myotis

• View Profile
side by side previews different magnifications
« on: January 21, 2019, 02:38:23 PM »
On the side by side previews the left hand image is about twice the magnification of the right hand image.

However, if I switch to an above and below image comparison, they are the same magnification.

Can you suggest what the problem might be.

This is on High Sierra and the latest version of PM5.

I found a similar question from 2013, but there was no answer provided. It hasn't always been this way, so its something I must have done recently.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: side by side previews different magnifications
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 03:05:25 PM »
Graham,

On the side by side previews the left hand image is about twice the magnification of the right hand image.

However, if I switch to an above and below image comparison, they are the same magnification.

Can you suggest what the problem might be.

This is on High Sierra and the latest version of PM5.

I found a similar question from 2013, but there was no answer provided. It hasn't always been this way, so its something I must have done recently.

Did you use the Zoom feature on the left pane and not on the right pane?

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 11:00:43 PM »

-Kirk

Thanks, I've never realised you could zoom the panes independently, and can't work out how to do it.

But given the different behaviour, depending on the orientation  of the panes, on the face of it, this sounds an unlikely reason. But how do you zoom the side by side previews by different magnifications?:

I've given a bit more detail below as to what is happening

With two panes, an upper and lower, with the zoom switched off, images are same size in both panes.

Clicking the zoom on, both upper and lower pane are magnified by the same amount.

With two panes, left and right , with the zoom switched off, images are the same size in both panes.

Clicking the zoom on, the left pane magnifies approx twice as much as the right pane.

No settings have changed other than clicking the zoom on.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 09:10:03 AM »

-Kirk

Thanks, I've never realised you could zoom the panes independently, and can't work out how to do it.

But given the different behaviour, depending on the orientation  of the panes, on the face of it, this sounds an unlikely reason. But how do you zoom the side by side previews by different magnifications?:

I've given a bit more detail below as to what is happening

With two panes, an upper and lower, with the zoom switched off, images are same size in both panes.

Clicking the zoom on, both upper and lower pane are magnified by the same amount.

With two panes, left and right , with the zoom switched off, images are the same size in both panes.

Clicking the zoom on, the left pane magnifies approx twice as much as the right pane.

No settings have changed other than clicking the zoom on.

Cheers,

Graham

It may be that PM can't allocate enough memory for both panes to have a full size image at the same time.  What is your image size?  How much memory have you set your Memory Cache to?  (Preferences->Caching)

Try setting the Memory cache size to something smaller like 128MB.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 09:44:08 AM »
It may be that PM can't allocate enough memory for both panes to have a full size image at the same time.  What is your image size?  How much memory have you set your Memory Cache to?  (Preferences->Caching)

-Kirk

Memory caching was at 500Mb, which it has been for the last 10years or so, but I have reduced it to 128mb and restarted PM: it's made no difference.  I have 8gb of 16gb free RAM available, if that's relevant.

The files are Nikon D500 raws, which PM suggests are 28Mb each.

On closer inspection, it seems it's the right hand pane that is too small.

Left hand pane, and the two up top and bottom panes all show the same magnification, with the right pane being the one that doesn't match the other three.   

Thanks,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 10:53:42 AM »
Graham,

Memory caching was at 500Mb, which it has been for the last 10years or so, but I have reduced it to 128mb and restarted PM: it's made no difference.  I have 8gb of 16gb free RAM available, if that's relevant.

The files are Nikon D500 raws, which PM suggests are 28Mb each.

On closer inspection, it seems it's the right hand pane that is too small.

Left hand pane, and the two up top and bottom panes all show the same magnification, with the right pane being the one that doesn't match the other three.   

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder (or Windows Explorer) window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 12:05:10 PM »

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder (or Windows Explorer) window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Zipped up log file is attached

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 12:09:23 PM »

Zipped up log file is attached

I don't see anything unusual in your log.  For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2800 option 2

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 12:16:32 PM »

I don't see anything unusual in your log.  For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

Thanks Kirk, I will contact support as suggested.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 10:53:52 AM »
Just to finish this off

This seems to have fixed itself !!

It has been plaguing me for weeks now, and  I know that I had the problem earlier today, but its gone now.

I've gone through several files that I have been reviewing over the last few weeks and "know" had shown the problem, but they are all working fine now. I haven't updated anything or changed anything since this morning, nor have I restarted the computer,  so I have no idea what was going on, but hopefully it won't come back.

Cheers,

Graham