Author Topic: What is perform color matching icon for? Also clear explanation for IPTC/XMP, et  (Read 7639 times)

Offline marmshaw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi, I am a PM newbie. What is the color match icon for? I did not see any documentation for it in Help files, which are ludicrously in adequate.  Can anyone help?

Also, can anyone suggest a good explanatory article or how-to for understanding the various permutations of captioning resources,  ie IPTC, XMP, and later versions?  How do I decide when to use which one? Does using one affect the other, etc. I need to understand the settings in IPTC/XMP tab of  Preferences.

I am a professional photog and writer, running OS 10.4.9 on iBook G4 at 1.42GH w/1.5MB RAM. Many thanks for your help!!
Marianne

Offline roysmyth

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
There is a manual available for version 4.4.

The location is a carefully guarded secret, probably because the Camera Bits folks enjoy doing on-line support.  :)

You can find it at http://camerabits.fileburst.com/Photo%20Mechanic%204%20Manual.pdf

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Hello Marianne,

What is the color match icon for?

It turns on or off color-managed display of images.

Quote from: marmshaw
Also, can anyone suggest a good explanatory article or how-to for understanding the various permutations of captioning resources,  ie IPTC, XMP, and later versions?  How do I decide when to use which one? Does using one affect the other, etc. I need to understand the settings in IPTC/XMP tab of Preferences.

I'll assume that you know what captions are in general.  IPTC was the first standard captioning method for embedding metadata in image files.  XMP is Adobe's eXtensible Metadata Platform and it promises to be the future of captioning photos and other types of media.  I like XMP because it allows users to create their own tags and namespaces but doesn't cause problems for other users reading the files.

For now I suggest people use both and Photo Mechanic supports that very well.  If you're shooting RAW and you're using Adobe products like Photoshop/ACR, Bridge, or Lightroom then don't embed IPTC or XMP into your RAW files, use XMP sidecar files.

What applications besides Photo Mechanic are you using?

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
If you're shooting RAW and you're using Adobe products like Photoshop/ACR, Bridge, or Lightroom then don't embed IPTC or XMP into your RAW files, use XMP sidecar files.

If I only use XMP the captions dont show up in Capture NX, what am I doing wrong?
I thought the same was true of the rather disappointing Lightroom....

Marc
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Marc,

If you're shooting RAW and you're using Adobe products like Photoshop/ACR, Bridge, or Lightroom then don't embed IPTC or XMP into your RAW files, use XMP sidecar files.

If I only use XMP the captions dont show up in Capture NX, what am I doing wrong?
I thought the same was true of the rather disappointing Lightroom....

I don't think that Capture NX supports XMP at all right now.

-Kirk