Author Topic: Image glitch: Split Images  (Read 2350 times)

Offline NLFord

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Image glitch: Split Images
« on: January 31, 2019, 12:11:02 PM »
Im on a Mac OS 10.11.6 using Photo Mechanic 4.6.9 with Raw images from a Nikon D5.  I'm getting distorted images in Photo Mechanic, but when i open the image in photoshop, it's fine.  See screen shot. Please advise.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Image glitch: Split Images
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 01:16:52 PM »
I expect that the JPEG preview in your RAW files is damaged in some way and the reason Adobe's software is unaffected is because they're ignoring the JPEG data and are rendering the RAW file instead.  Photo Mechanic shows the embedded JPEG preview and does not render the RAW file.

I suggest checking the integrity of your camera card.  It may be beginning to fail.

-Kirk

Offline NLFord

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 01:41:42 PM »
Actually, when it first started happening I suspected it was the card. But it happens on any card.  I am beginning to suspect it's something in the camera. I thought maybe photo mechanic and my old system (maybe the graphics card?) couldn't handle the large files anymore (i also use the same cards in a D3s) and it doesn't happen.)   It can't be cause the files are large, because it doesn't happen on a D850, which the files are twice as large as the D5. I should probably try downloading on my home computer to see if it happens.  Thank you for your response.

Offline editor@africamediaonline.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 12:30:50 PM »
I am getting similar issues, only the files are genuinely corrupted, even when I open them in Photoshop. Not only are the files often split, but many are off colour too. I have suspected it has something to do with Photo Mechanic since it was only once I started using Photo Mechanic that I have encountered this problem. That may, of course, not be the reason, but the correlation is there.. And there are a lot of them that are like that. Please seen the screen grab attached.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 02:22:47 PM »
I am getting similar issues, only the files are genuinely corrupted, even when I open them in Photoshop. Not only are the files often split, but many are off colour too. I have suspected it has something to do with Photo Mechanic since it was only once I started using Photo Mechanic that I have encountered this problem. That may, of course, not be the reason, but the correlation is there.. And there are a lot of them that are like that. Please seen the screen grab attached.

What file type is the image?
Do you have the image still on the card?  If so, if you open the image off the card with Photoshop, is it similarly corrupted?

-Kirk