Author Topic: Code replacemts in different place at ones  (Read 28976 times)

Offline threiner

• View Profile
Code replacemts in different place at ones
« on: February 01, 2019, 02:36:53 PM »
Hi,

I use photo mechanic the way that i have templates in the IP stationary Pad with variables, so i use the IPTC Scene to put the Code replacement and use the the variable  {scene} to use the Text string in different places.

Now comes my Problem, i know i can use #2 or #3 to access the different column inside the code replacement file.

What i would like to do is set a variable so when i enter the trigger inside the IPTC scene File ( in most cases the startnummer) what brings me up the codereplacement inside this field that then also in other fields the values from the other columns get places. I think it makes no sence to write in a other place  then again the trigger and add #2 and then in a other again #4 as the trigger is the same it should be possible to tell photo mechanic witch column to use in what place.

Is there a possibility to do that ?

For example i would like to add automatically keywords for each athlet automatically by writing them in the columns of the code replacement file.  ) Like the sponsors of the athlete)

maybe somebody got a idea how to do that :-)

Offline threiner

• View Profile
Re: Code replacemts in different place at ones
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 12:55:34 PM »
no ideas ?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 05:31:33 PM »
I use photo mechanic the way that i have templates in the IP stationary Pad with variables, so i use the IPTC Scene to put the Code replacement and use the the variable  {scene} to use the Text string in different places.

Now comes my Problem, i know i can use #2 or #3 to access the different column inside the code replacement file.

What i would like to do is set a variable so when i enter the trigger inside the IPTC scene File ( in most cases the startnummer) what brings me up the codereplacement inside this field that then also in other fields the values from the other columns get places. I think it makes no sence to write in a other place  then again the trigger and add #2 and then in a other again #4 as the trigger is the same it should be possible to tell photo mechanic witch column to use in what place.

Is there a possibility to do that ?

For example i would like to add automatically keywords for each athlet automatically by writing them in the columns of the code replacement file.  ) Like the sponsors of the athlete)

Sorry for the late reply.  I'm recovering from a case of pneumonia and have been away from work for the last few days.

I've read your post several times before responding and I just can't quite tell what it is that you're trying to do or if it is possible.  If you could post a screen shot of the IPTC Info of one of your images showing all relevant fields, a shot of your IPTC Stationery Pad showing all relevant fields, and your code replacement file, I'll see what I can do.

-Kirk

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 09:05:29 AM »
Hi Kirk, i hope you recovering fast!

Maybe i have not explained this well.

I use the field IPCT Scene to put the code Replacement so everywhere i used the Variable {scene} i get the contend i put there.

But i would also like to trigger automatically  keywords. i have the keywords in the second column of my code replacement file 6   
like this

Marcel Hirscher of Austria               UVEX, ATOMIC, Raifeisen

I found that i can get them by writing /2#6/ but this is one step more i need to change the field and write again the string. i wonder if i can do that somehow different.

my second problem is, can i save the settings in the ftp dialog, for example one agency likes full res. and a special file name, the next one needs  a other filename and a lower resolution. but when i change the ftp connection it does not remember this settings so i have to change everytime i send a file everything over again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 04:40:29 PM »
Maybe i have not explained this well.

I use the field IPCT Scene to put the code Replacement so everywhere i used the Variable {scene} i get the contend i put there.

But i would also like to trigger automatically  keywords. i have the keywords in the second column of my code replacement file 6   
like this

Marcel Hirscher of Austria               UVEX, ATOMIC, Raifeisen

I found that i can get them by writing /2#6/ but this is one step more i need to change the field and write again the string. i wonder if i can do that somehow different.

You should be able to append that code replacement sequence in the IPTC Stationery Pad using the append mode of the Keywords field.  Enter only the code replacement sequence and it will append the replacement onto the existing keywords.

my second problem is, can i save the settings in the ftp dialog, for example one agency likes full res. and a special file name, the next one needs  a other filename and a lower resolution. but when i change the ftp connection it does not remember this settings so i have to change everytime i send a file everything over again.

Connection settings store only what you entered into that dialog, not the FTP dialog.  They can be used with the current settings to send your prepared images (scaled/renamed/watermarked/etc.) to any connection you like.

If you're wanting to save the settings in the FTP template itself, use the snapshot button.  (small button in the lower left corner with a lightning bolt on it.)  You can have as many settings as you like.

-Kirk

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 05:15:04 PM »
Thanks for the Explantation, the second thing with the ftp i understand, i just dont understand why i can not combine the ftp settings with a snapshot of the setting like scaling, rename and so on. This would be one possibility less to make a mistake ;-)

I think the what i would like to do with code replacements seems to be not possible.

I only want to put one time the code replacement string and get the different columns place in the different places.

i have attached a screenshot maybe it explains it better.

basicly i like to define in the Stationary pad where the different columns of my code replacement file are going, and then just put the trigger in one place in this case the Start number /6/ and then i like the contend from the different columns of my code replacement file in the places i defined before. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 08:13:32 AM »
I think the what i would like to do with code replacements seems to be not possible.

I only want to put one time the code replacement string and get the different columns place in the different places.

i have attached a screenshot maybe it explains it better.

basicly i like to define in the Stationary pad where the different columns of my code replacement file are going, and then just put the trigger in one place in this case the Start number /6/ and then i like the contend from the different columns of my code replacement file in the places i defined before. 

There was no screen shot attached, but I found it hidden inside your message: http://i.szoter.com/a9cb3686da23a707.jpg

What you're trying to do is something many people achieve with Code Replacement.  Being able to enter one code in one place and have it populate many fields at once via the IPTC Stationery Pad is one of its primary functions.

This is the documentation: http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Code_Replacement

In your screenshot you're trying to use Code Replacement in the IPTC Stationery Pad in interactive mode which won't work  That code (/6/) that you're starting to write should be just the 6 by itself and should already be in your photos that you've made your first pass through, identifying which codes belong to which pictures.  Once you have the codes in your pictures (all in the IPTC Scene field) then you select those pictures and put the real power of Code Replacement to work for you.  You'll now open the IPTC Stationery Pad and wherever you want to expand your code in a specific way you'll put:

/{scene}#x/

where 'x' is the replacement number you want to use.  You can put them in the Caption, the Keywords, City, etc.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure that you uncheck the "IPTC Scene" field, or all of your work will be wiped out!

Then apply the IPTC Stationery Pad.  Your work is done.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 12:49:58 PM »
Thank you for enlightening me ;-)

i just cant figure out what the interactive mode of the Stationary pad is and where to change it.

i usually mark all images press Command + I and then i put the /6/ as i understand i still do that but i only put 6 in the field ?

i heave read the documentation for code replacement about 10 times but i cant figure out whee there is any comment to this technic.

maybe thats due to the fact that english is not my main language.

thanks Thomas

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 01:22:17 PM »
Thomas,

Thank you for enlightening me ;-)

i just cant figure out what the interactive mode of the Stationary pad is and where to change it.

There is no changing the mode.  It's automatically detected.  If you you use a literal code in your delimiters in any field then the replacement happens immediately/interactively.  If you use a variable as your code in your delimiters, it is evaluated when the image is updated, which is what you want for IPTC Stationery Pad batch operation.

i usually mark all images press Command + I and then i put the /6/ as i understand i still do that but i only put 6 in the field ?

No. You don't use the IPTC Stationery Pad for this part.  You would make a pass through all of your images putting 6 in the IPTC Scene of each image using the IPTC Info dialog.  (If you do have hundreds of images that would all get a 6 as their value then you could use the IPTC Stationery Pad to do that all at once.)  Some images may have different values, so put the correct value 7, 8, 9, etc. in the IPTC Scene of each image using the IPTC Info dialog.  Once all of the images have the correct value (without code replacement delimiters [the / / part]) then select them all and use the IPTC Stationery Pad as I described above.

All of the data will be expanded in all of the fields that you put your code replacement sequences into.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 03:26:12 PM »
There was no screen shot attached, but I found it hidden inside your message: http://i.szoter.com/a9cb3686da23a707.jpg
What's the purpose behind .@FTP1 or @GETTY1 in the keywords field? I couldn't find any information about this kind of workflow.

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 04:19:13 PM »
This is specific keawords, what trigger actions on ther Agency server where i send the the images. nothing to do with the Workflow of PM. ;-)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 05:10:52 PM »
What's the purpose behind .@FTP1 or @GETTY1 in the keywords field? I couldn't find any information about this kind of workflow.

I assume it means something to the server that receives the images.

-Kirk