Author Topic: Huge and fragmented PM.LOG  (Read 3912 times)

Offline ardito

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Huge and fragmented PM.LOG
« on: March 25, 2009, 11:33:57 PM »
Is it possible PhotoMechanic release 4.5.1.1 was compiled with some kind of debugging switch left 'on'? PM.log grows very large on my notebook computer.

Background information:
-----------------------
On my notebook computer (running on Win XP SP2), disk space is scarce and because of multiple projects, disk fragmentation has my constant attention.

After a recent defragmentation operation, I discovered a file that could not be defragmented and to my surprise it belonged to PhotoMechanic. The file in question is PM.LOG, on my notebook almost 800MB large and split in more than 40.000 fragments.

From a system management viewpoint, this was is completely unacceptable, both in terms of space and defragmentation. So I had to take drastic action: to move the file from my notebook to a quarantaine location on my main server, and delete the file on my notebook.

PhotoMechanic (version 4.5.1.1) seems to be running smoothly after this action. However, after opening and reading a folder with 15 RAW files and closing PhotoMechanic, PM.log was back, containing 330 lines of information. That 'fresh' PM.log is enclosed as an attachment to this post.

I would like to know when and why PhotoMechanic writes to PM.log and whether I can expect it to grow large and fragmented again.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Huge and fragmented PM.LOG
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 06:22:20 AM »
Is it possible PhotoMechanic release 4.5.1.1 was compiled with some kind of debugging switch left 'on'? PM.log grows very large on my notebook computer.

Background information:
-----------------------
On my notebook computer (running on Win XP SP2), disk space is scarce and because of multiple projects, disk fragmentation has my constant attention.

After a recent defragmentation operation, I discovered a file that could not be defragmented and to my surprise it belonged to PhotoMechanic. The file in question is PM.LOG, on my notebook almost 800MB large and split in more than 40.000 fragments.

From a system management viewpoint, this was is completely unacceptable, both in terms of space and defragmentation. So I had to take drastic action: to move the file from my notebook to a quarantaine location on my main server, and delete the file on my notebook.

PhotoMechanic (version 4.5.1.1) seems to be running smoothly after this action. However, after opening and reading a folder with 15 RAW files and closing PhotoMechanic, PM.log was back, containing 330 lines of information. That 'fresh' PM.log is enclosed as an attachment to this post.

I would like to know when and why PhotoMechanic writes to PM.log and whether I can expect it to grow large and fragmented again.

Just get version 4.5.4 of Photo Mechanic and you should no longer see large log files being generated.  Since you already have 4.5.x, version 4.5.4 is a free upgrade.

-Kirk

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 01:18:49 PM »
Kirk -- is it safe to delete PM.log?  Mine is 5gb.   It's got two years of entries.
I'm on Version 5.0, build 19695

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 01:54:58 PM »
Ron,

Kirk -- is it safe to delete PM.log?  Mine is 5gb.   It's got two years of entries.
I'm on Version 5.0, build 19695

Thanks

Yes, absolutely.