Author Topic: Error Copying  (Read 2055 times)

Offline AndyBao

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Error Copying
« on: February 18, 2019, 10:48:57 AM »
Hi, I'm running Photo Mechanic version 5.0, build 19728 (3c52d76) on MacOS Sierra version 10.12.6. For the past two assignments I've had some problems ingesting both of my CF cards (shooting redundant from one camera). I feel like it's a pretty low chance for both of them to go bad at the same time.

I've tried a different card reader and still get errors copying while ingesting.
I've directly copied the photos from the card to my external hard drive (so not using Photo Mechanic) and that went fine.
I've ingested directly onto my desktop and then onto my external hard drive and get errors for both.
The card seems to eject itself randomly (I get the notification in the top right saying "card not ejected properly" or whatever).
I have not tried ingesting the cards onto a different computer yet.
I have not tried not-tagging photos in camera yet then ingesting.

I have started tagging shots in camera for these two assignments and that's when the issue started. Could that be the problem? This is from a Canon 1DX. When I try and star photos then pull them up, I don't see any tags. But when I use the "protect" feature, the tags show up in Photo Mechanic.

Attached is the PM_log.zip file. Let me know if anything else is needed.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Error Copying
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 04:00:19 PM »
Andy,

It looks like your CF cards are spontaneously unmounting in the middle of the ingest.

I suggest trying a different USB port, or a different USB reader device if you have one.  Sounds to me like your reader/cable/port is going bad.  PM is not unmounting your card.  PM only ever unmounts a card when directed and only at the end of a 100% successful ingest operation.

-Kirk

Offline AndyBao

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 04:36:37 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the reply. I just tried it again normally and it ejected itself and PM gave me the ingest error. I switched the port I'm plugging in the external hard drive and CF card reader ports with each other and so far its ingesting fine (it's almost done as I'm writing this). Any ideas? Maybe the card reader/cable is finnicky?

Offline AndyBao

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 04:38:59 PM »
I just wiggled the cable into the card reader a bit and it looks like it's the cable. Just a slight nudge by the port and it loses connection. EDIT: not sure why then the other card reader gave me errors as well. I'll have to do more testing later.