Author Topic: Some small feature requests  (Read 4418 times)

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
    • Propaganda
Some small feature requests
« on: April 02, 2007, 01:03:13 AM »
Some of these have been requested before, would be interested to know if they are useful to anyone else and if there is a chance of them being implemented in the future:

• Launching: When you have RAW & JPEG images and you hit 'E' for edit, can Alt-E, or another combination, toggle the default launch setting. So if PM is set to launch the JPEG, then pressing Alt-E would launch the RAW file instead.

• Times: Can a preference be set to display times as 12h 1:45:pm instead of the 24h 13:45:00

• IPTC window: Can it be possible to re-arrange the fields and also disable and enable selected fields in the view, thereby creating a user-customized IPTC window.

• .Mac sync: Sync all preferences, colour class, rating colours and name, keywords, snapshots, FTP settings etc using Apple's .Mac service.

• When saving a file in Photoshop at, say JPEG 6, I get a much smaller file than when PM saves the same JPEG at its 6 setting. How can I achieve the same end file size? Also, would it be possible to instead of selecting a width or compression, select an compressed file size. So the user would select a saved JPEG size of 500kb and PM will compress the image to fit that final file size approximately.

4.5 Beta looking good. I can finally transfer my ratings to Aperture (via Annoture until Aperture supports importing of side-car files).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Some small feature requests
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 06:44:06 AM »
Some of these have been requested before, would be interested to know if they are useful to anyone else and if there is a chance of them being implemented in the future:

• Launching: When you have RAW & JPEG images and you hit 'E' for edit, can Alt-E, or another combination, toggle the default launch setting. So if PM is set to launch the JPEG, then pressing Alt-E would launch the RAW file instead.

Try holding down the Shift key when you press Alt-E.  Mac users would hold down Option instead.

Quote from: Shadow
• Times: Can a preference be set to display times as 12h 1:45:pm instead of the 24h 13:45:00

I suppose we could add a preference.

• IPTC window: Can it be possible to re-arrange the fields and also disable and enable selected fields in the view, thereby creating a user-customized IPTC window.

This is definitely planned.

• .Mac sync: Sync all preferences, colour class, rating colours and name, keywords, snapshots, FTP settings etc using Apple's .Mac service.

Others have indeed requested this recently.  We'll see.

• When saving a file in Photoshop at, say JPEG 6, I get a much smaller file than when PM saves the same JPEG at its 6 setting. How can I achieve the same end file size? Also, would it be possible to instead of selecting a width or compression, select an compressed file size. So the user would select a saved JPEG size of 500kb and PM will compress the image to fit that final file size approximately.

Try turning on Chrominance subsampling.  That's what Photoshop does automatically once you go below a certain quality setting.

As for save as by file size, I had originally wanted to have it work that way, but what can happen is that in order to honor that request, a series of files can end up having wildly different quality settings which doesn't look good on the client's end.

4.5 Beta looking good. I can finally transfer my ratings to Aperture (via Annoture until Aperture supports importing of side-car files).

I hope they do that soon and do it well.

-Kirk