Author Topic: Image file name handling.  (Read 1717 times)

Offline shutterspeeds67

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Image file name handling.
« on: March 18, 2019, 05:18:45 PM »
Hi,

I use your software on a Mac platform (iMac and Macbook Pro). I have a simple question: I work with two Nikon cameras and want to know how identical file names would be handled. For example, if both cameras are set to have the names "IMA_XXXX", and, during a download, files from both cameras would simultaneously have the same name, would one get replaced wth the other, or would it automatically get named as "copy" or similar, with both being kept? I hope my question is clear enough?

Oh, and now that I think of it, can we view our images in Camera Bits sorted by time/date of photos?

Thank you!

Paolo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Image file name handling.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 08:32:50 PM »
They will be renamed as to avoid collisions according to your preferences:

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Files_Preferences

Specifically:

Renaming resolution: Set options for what Photo Mechanic should do when it tries to save a file to a folder and there is an identically named file already present at the destination. This policy applies to all renaming operations. You can choose to append a letter, or a single or double digit number, when needed. The best option here is probably ‘Append Digits when needed (01,02 etc.)’. This option makes it easy to see at a glance when there were two files with the same name since the new file name will be longer and easy to spot.

-Kirk

Offline shutterspeeds67

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Image file name handling.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 08:42:34 PM »
Thank you so much, Kirk! I just looked it up in my Preferences and, by default, it was set to append a letter when needed.
Until now I had different prefix letters (IMA, DSC, IMG...) but always wondered about using the same.
I appreciate your time and help!