Author Topic: Expanded use of embedded DNG previews?  (Read 4614 times)

Offline kwell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Expanded use of embedded DNG previews?
« on: May 14, 2007, 02:40:36 PM »
I shoot NEFs and eventually convert to DNG. The DNGs have large JPEG previews embedded in them, and some programs let you use the embedded JPEG files. I find this useful, for example, when I want to upload basic proofs to a web gallery for review.

In PM 4.5, it seems the only way I can use the previews embedded in DNG files is to "Send Photos via Email..."

It would be very useful if the "Save Photos As..." command would permit processing (with the normal resizing, sharpening, and embedding of sRBG profile) only the JPEG preview when it encounters a DNG file.

Thanks,

Kevin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Expanded use of embedded DNG previews?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 03:49:12 PM »
Kevin,

I shoot NEFs and eventually convert to DNG. The DNGs have large JPEG previews embedded in them, and some programs let you use the embedded JPEG files. I find this useful, for example, when I want to upload basic proofs to a web gallery for review.

In PM 4.5, it seems the only way I can use the previews embedded in DNG files is to "Send Photos via Email..."

It would be very useful if the "Save Photos As..." command would permit processing (with the normal resizing, sharpening, and embedding of sRBG profile) only the JPEG preview when it encounters a DNG file.

You can use the Extract JPEG previews from RAW photos... command on the Tools menu to bulk save the JPEG previews in your DNG files.  It is a completely lossless operation.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline kwell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded use of embedded DNG previews?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 04:10:29 AM »
Thanks, Kirk

Confirmation that it's a lossless operation helps a lot.

At some point in the future, you may want to conform the various "export" functions ("send as email," "save as," and "FTP"/"Upload to...") so they have a consistent set of options (resize, sharpen...etc.). Maybe even consider a single "Export" command with multiple "delivery" options (e.g. "email," "save to folder," "FTP" and "upload").

Just something for the wishlist...

Kevin