Author Topic: Can't search IPTC for F stop with decimal point  (Read 4033 times)

Offline ejatpa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can't search IPTC for F stop with decimal point
« on: September 09, 2019, 08:23:58 AM »
I inserted the f stop variable into the metadata iptc template so I could search on this parameter.  I am comparing lens sharpness at the moment.

I noticed that if I search any F stop that has a decimal point, the search does not return any items.  However, it will return items if the f stop does not include a decimal point.  Is this a bug or a normal function?

Using Windows 10, PM Version 6 Build 3558

Thanks

EJ

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't search IPTC for F stop with decimal point
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 08:41:39 AM »
I inserted the f stop variable into the metadata iptc template so I could search on this parameter.  I am comparing lens sharpness at the moment.

I noticed that if I search any F stop that has a decimal point, the search does not return any items.  However, it will return items if the f stop does not include a decimal point.  Is this a bug or a normal function

Could you please post a screen shot of your Find panel?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ejatpa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 09:42:56 AM »
Here is a screen shot of the find panel after I have already selected "find".  I searched through the thumbnails  and nothing was highlighted.

Thanks

EJ

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 10:55:35 AM »
Here is a screen shot of the find panel after I have already selected "find".  I searched through the thumbnails  and nothing was highlighted.

Which field did you insert the variable into and what value did it produce?  Feel free to post a screen shot of the field.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ejatpa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 11:33:56 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Here is a screen capture of the variables I inserted using the ctrl and I key to bring up the template.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 12:03:39 PM »
Maybe I'm looking at this wrongly, but it appears to me you are looking for 2.8 while the lens is not a 2.8 lens so it won't have an aperture of 2.8, meaning the search was correct to not return any results.

But the real problem is that you have “Whole Words” ticked. Since a dot is a word separator, it will turn 2.8 into two words. Causing the search string 2.8 to never match. Even if you had 2.8 in the searched metadata…

Instead of ticking “Whole Words”, select “Grep” and use \b2.8\b as search pattern. This will give you what you are looking for :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline ejatpa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 01:35:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I unchecked the "whole word" search and it works like a charm. 

Thank you for the input.

EJ Abood