Author Topic: Very bad performance with PM6 on Mojave  (Read 95887 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Very bad performance with PM6 on Mojave
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 07:04:02 PM »
Same issue here. PM6 is currently unusable for me. I have tested with other applications open as well as after a fresh boot with no other applications open with the same slow result.

2017 15" MacBook Pro

Can you post a screen shot of your system's specs like others have?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline scphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 07:40:59 PM »
Here are my machine specs.

Offline ruimleal

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 07:46:08 PM »
Both my macs  on Mojave 10.14.3 have the same performance issues too slow while clicking the arrows and building the previews when first open a folder full of jpgs images.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), 3,4 i7 32gb, nVidia GForce GTX 680MX 2048   

MacbookPro (15-inch, mid 2012) 2,3Ghz Intel Core i7, 16gb Nvidia GeForce GT650M 512MB/Intel HD GRaphics 4000 1536MB

Would like to know why the font is smaller as I can barely see what is written on my 15'' laptop also if there is a way to move the toolbar (that was moved from the top toolbar onto the right side panel) to the left side of the panel on top of Favorites or move it above the right panel folders on the right side panel? As it is it's cluttering the Folders as we need to move the mouse over these tools and sometimes settings change by mistake (this wasn't on PM5 as it was very clean the right side panel only with folder on top). If we have too many folders open it's a pain to deal with while having the tools under them, why you guys put these tools (Loupe, scale, filename, reverse, colors and stars) under the folders and not above or give us an option to choose where we would like them to be? We use the folders more than those tools.

Wouldn't have been better to sent a demo version to a couple of us before releasing this to the public?
This will create a very bad mood and feeling around PM as it is, even worst announced as a new super fast version, that for a lot of people will not be and you guys new that. Well for me I can say that so far I'm very disappointed with this new version 6 after all this time waiting for a major release and could not see anything justifying the $86 you are asking for the upgrade (it looks the same as PM5 except it's slower and more sluggish) in this case for me is a downgrade until it's fixed, very bad marketing move guys, hope this won't spoil your reputation and name.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 08:58:26 PM by ruimleal »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2019, 07:49:00 PM »
Both my macs  on Mojave 10.14.3 have the same performance issues too slow while clicking the arrows and building the previews when first open a folder full of jpgs images.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), 3,4 i7 32gb, nVidia GForce GTX 680MX 2048   

MacbookPro (15-inch, mid 2012) 2,3Ghz Intel Core i7, 16gb Nvidia GeForce GT650M 512MB/Intel HD GRaphics 4000 1536MB

Would like to know why the font is smaller as I can barely see what is written on my 15'' laptop also if there is a way to move the toolbar (that was moved from the top toolbar onto the right side panel) to the left side of the panel on top of Favorites or move it above the right panel folders on the right side panel? As it is it's cluttering the Folders as we need to move the mouse over these tools and sometimes settings change by mistake (this wasn't on PM5 as it was very clean the right side panel only with folder on top). If we have too many folders open it's a pain to deal with while having the tools under them, why you guys put these tools (Loupe, scale, filename, reverse, colors and stars) under the folders and not above or give us an option to choose where we would like them to be? We use the folders more than those tools.

Would you mind posting a screen shot that illustrates each of your issues?  I'm not understanding based on your descriptions.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot(s).

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline miboper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2019, 08:16:16 PM »
Same issue: slow navigation in the preview mode with PM6. PM5 is perfectly fast. Specs attached.

Offline huwi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 01:19:41 AM »
Same here... the response time in PM6 is horrible.

Take a look on this comparison video:
https://youtu.be/K1kBpURkEgw

The response time after each key stroke is multiple time longer than in PM6.

I hope for a solution.
Best regards
Michael

Offline BobNL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 01:36:07 AM »
Same issue here, unusably slow to browse through images. I don't think the OS version is the reason though. Performance seems good on my older Retina Macbook Pro. On my iMac, it is unusable though. Both running the same OS version. Back to PM5 for now.

Offline jonneymendoza

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 02:15:54 AM »

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 02:44:36 AM »
The speed doesn't seem as slow on my MacBook Pro compared to my iMac - however; I did a quick test before I just went out to drop the kids off at school..  I've been back about 40 minutes, just looked at the MacBook Pro again and the fans were blasting and the CPU% for PM6 in Activity Monitor was over 400% - it was just sat idle for the best part of an hour, but RAW Rendering was enabled..  I quit Adobe DNG Converter, and disabled RAW rendering in PM6 Prefs...  and the fans have stopped.. 

Is PM6 doing anything with the rest of the contact sheet images while idle?  I'm confused as to why quitting Adobe DNG converter brought the PM6 CPU usage down to a more respectable 0.1% CPU instead of over 400%? 

I'll try deleting DNG Converter from my iMac and see if that improves performance of PM6 on that..  just in case.
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Offline ggreene

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2019, 07:08:30 PM »
Very slow performance with PM6 compared to PM5.  Using the keyboard arrow keys there is a 2-3+ second delay cycling through images.  Essentially unusable for any large batch of images.  Also, when deleting an image it takes a long time for the image to actually go away.

Attaching a screenshot of my system.  HD is a 1TB SSD.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 07:10:34 PM by ggreene »

Offline Pompo

• View Profile
    • Alfonso Bresciani
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2019, 08:18:35 PM »

Same here, super slow compared to PM5:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:   iMac Pro
  Model Identifier:   iMacPro1,1
  Processor Name:   Intel Xeon W
  Processor Speed:   3 GHz
  Number of Processors:   1
  Total Number of Cores:   10
  L2 Cache (per Core):   1 MB
  L3 Cache:   13.8 MB
  Memory:   64 GB
  Boot ROM Version:   220.240.2.0.0 (iBridge: 16.16.3133.0.0,0)
  Serial Number (system):   C02VT0L8JLCN
  Hardware UUID:   7FFA2669-2332-5C16-853A-55068971FD1F

Found a really huge problem:

If you jump to the next photo in preview using your keyboard arrow keys, it takes some time to react...

.... watch the preview catch up for a few seconds after you stop pressing any buttons.

Not my experience at all. PM6 is a speed demon!

iMac 2017
Mojave 10.14.3
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB Memory
Radeon Pr 580 8012 MB

Bob

Offline philnijhuis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2019, 12:02:17 AM »
Also slow performance here on a Mac Pro with 32gb ram and 6core processor running on Mojave.
A little bit better but still poor performance on a Macbook Pro 2018 with 32gb ram.

Have to wait seconds after pressing the preview or IPTC button to turn up on the screen.
Processor is running really hot on PM6 process.

Offline Matthew

• View Profile
    • matt-horwood.com
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2019, 01:17:33 AM »
No issues here - super smooth on both machines. Specs are below if it helps.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 01:27:00 AM by Matthew »

Offline Matthew

• View Profile
    • matt-horwood.com
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2019, 02:19:57 AM »
Strange, noticing a slow down after updating to Mac OS 10.14.4 on iMac Pro (specs above).

Browsing a folder of 275 z7 RAW files and flicking between images in preview is slower, images appearing pixelated until loaded. Scrolling through images in the contact sheet is also slower.

Stats below show usage while flicking through images in the preview window. One contact sheet open. Files been read off a 1TB Samsung X5 Thunderbolt3 (2800MB/s Read, 2100MB/s Write).

Tested the same folder on PM5 and speed is as normal.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 02:23:56 AM by Matthew »