Author Topic: Very bad performance with PM6 on Mojave  (Read 95893 times)

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
Re: Very bad performance with PM6 on Mojave
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2019, 06:03:38 AM »
Super slow on Mojave here too.  :'(

Even smallish JPEGs coming from a fast PCI based SSD take several seconds to advance to the next photo.

PM 5 flies through images. No matter if JPEG or large RAW files with full size embedded JPEG previews. System specs attached.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2019, 06:15:33 AM »
Also slow performance here on a Mac Pro with 32gb ram and 6core processor running on Mojave.
A little bit better but still poor performance on a Macbook Pro 2018 with 32gb ram.

Have to wait seconds after pressing the preview or IPTC button to turn up on the screen.
Processor is running really hot on PM6 process.

Can you run the Activity Monitor?  Click on the "CPU" button at the top.  Then click on the %CPU column header such that it shows the %CPU values from highest to lowest.

What item is consistently using up the most CPU percentage?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline davidbutlerii

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2019, 06:54:11 AM »
I am having slow performance using V6. I am using an iMac running latest Mojave. I switched back to V5... preview much faster :-(. Let me know when you find the problem!

Thanks,

-david

Offline BobNL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2019, 08:42:06 AM »
<snip>

Can you run the Activity Monitor?  Click on the "CPU" button at the top.  Then click on the %CPU column header such that it shows the %CPU values from highest to lowest.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Consistently Photomechanic 6 on top with up to 170%. When clicking through photos it usually hovers around 110%. It takes about a second or more to progress to the next if I press the arrow keys a couple of times it just keeps going forward till it processed all keystrokes. If I do more than say 15 keystrokes The files at the end show up pixelated. When it stops CPU reports around 40%.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2019, 09:02:49 AM »
Could you post a screen shot of the Activity Monitor showing the list of high CPU usage tasks?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline fferrarini

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2019, 09:16:53 AM »
Upgraded to v6 and very slow performance, like lightroom...  :'( :'( now is slow also version 5 already installed on my mac... please!!
I have tried to uninstal and reinstall... nothing...
I have tried to deactivate my mac, uninstall PM with app cleaner and reinstall all but nothing...

Offline philnijhuis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2019, 09:18:38 AM »
Also slow performance here on a Mac Pro with 32gb ram and 6core processor running on Mojave.
A little bit better but still poor performance on a Macbook Pro 2018 with 32gb ram.

Have to wait seconds after pressing the preview or IPTC button to turn up on the screen.
Processor is running really hot on PM6 process.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline fferrarini

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2019, 09:19:51 AM »
my configuration...

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2019, 11:40:28 AM »
Have you set a clean install of Mojave ?
A lot of problems not a  to have set a clean install for some softwares
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2019, 12:55:13 PM »
I’m running Mojave on a system that hasn’t been cleanly installed since I own it (January 2013) and for me PM6 performs great. From the reports here it almost looks like the problems are (only?) with relatively new machines...
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline zakzavada

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2019, 01:50:44 PM »
Same here..  the preview window is really slow flicking left or right through images..  it feels like it's rendering the RAW files each time..  I've disabled RAW rendering, but it's still really slow..
In PM5, you could hit the Q button to switch RAW rendering on or off..  seems to be missing from PM6 - (when I tested the same folder in PM5 and hit 'Q' on a few images, they show up with [RAW] next to them in PM6, but I've got no way to disable that in PM6...)

My system is iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017
4.2ghz Intel Core i7
64GB RAM - DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 with 8gb video RAM

205gb free space on my hard drive...  Should be plenty fast enough..  PM5 is still noticably faster.

Same issues here, very slow/laggy performance. Really missing being able to use Q to toggle between Raw/JPG.

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2019, 02:06:52 PM »
I’m running Mojave on a system that hasn’t been cleanly installed since I own it (January 2013) and for me PM6 performs great. From the reports here it almost looks like the problems are (only?) with relatively new machines...

Not really. Mid 2010 Mac Pro here with Mojave clean install.

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2019, 05:18:40 PM »
This is after I advanced through 5 photos (JPEGs, 4800 x 2400 px). PM6 takes about 2-3 seconds to jump to the next photo.

Offline ybp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2019, 07:43:20 PM »
I upgraded to PM6 the instant the upgrade notification popped up in PM5 because I use PM on several thousand images per day.

More enticing than anything was the promise of 3x speed improvement.

However, when I started using it PM6 had noticeably slower performance going between images. (I am not having severe issues like the first person who posted in this thread, i.e., definitely not 2-3 seconds. If that were the case I could not use PM6 at all for my work. So whatever serious issue is happening there is probably not happening for me.)

But the bottom line is that PM6 for me is unquestionably about twice as slow as PM5 after a couple of days of heavy use and getting used to it. I've tried the same settings as for PM5, then giving more cache and memory, then less. The effect of those changes seems minor, but overall it's just very noticeably laggy compared to PM5.

It possibly might have gotten imperceptibly faster than it originally was. Or perhaps I'm just getting used to it and the initial slowness shock has worn off.

However, regardless of my minor perceptions about changes in PM6 speed from first use until now, all the time compared to PM5, PM6 is about 2x slower in simple culling operation (meaning going to next photo, typing 1-5 to rate, going to next photo, etc.), as I mentioned above.

This increased lag in PM6 is all the time. It doesn't matter if it's a new folder or one that I've already loaded and gone through before.

It is not unusable, and it is much faster than the other person who said it takes 2-3 seconds to advance to the next photo.

It's more like half of a second now instead of a quarter of a second before.

Are there any suggestions on changing settings to get PM6 to be three times faster as promised?

On a separate note, there are WAY too many grid lines in the crop tool of PM6. It obscures everything underneath and makes it only possible to rotate crops looking at objects outside of the crop area to help line up the rotation of the crop. So basically the purpose of the grid lines to help line up things near the center of the crop is being canceled out because there are way too many grid lines. Simple rule of thirds lines would be plenty. I'm sure there's a preference to get rid of the lines, but the lines definitely should not be the default if there are so many of them.

Other than performance and grid lines PM6 seems really solid to me so far. Good work, Kirk.

Offline ng1111

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2019, 08:58:19 PM »
Count me in on the performance issues as well.  The scroll right or left works good for about 4 photos and then lag and then a blank screen if I continue to use the arrow keys.  I'm just tying to edit 7000 photos of planes and have to wait for the photos to catch up. 

Thank you,
Neville