Author Topic: Very bad performance with PM6 on Mojave  (Read 97010 times)

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
Re: Very bad performance with PM6 on Mojave
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2019, 07:49:30 AM »
I actually noticed a speed difference between JPEGs (slow! 4800 x 2400 in my case) and Nikon D810 RAW files (much faster, but not as fast as in PM5).

Offline lifeworksphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2019, 10:48:35 AM »
No, no new 10.14.5 it was 10.14.4....guess I was behind on my updates for some reason.

I updated my OS last night and it's possible that solved the issue. Loading seems much faster today on previews, much like old PM5. Anyone else do the newest Apple update and have success? I'll keep trying to use it today to make sure it's working properly.

Which update?  Is there now a 10.14.5 update?

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2019, 06:51:46 PM »
Is there now a 10.14.5 update?

10.14.5 is still on the first beta release.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline mhp_sd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2019, 08:17:44 PM »
Updated to 10.4.4 18E226 and I think it is better, but still not usable.  Still not anything like PM5.

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2019, 11:39:40 PM »
I actually noticed a speed difference between JPEGs (slow! 4800 x 2400 in my case) and Nikon D810 RAW files (much faster, but not as fast as in PM5).

Same for me
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline LarsSmook

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2019, 01:47:06 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Just wondering, any clue when the new update of PM6 will be released... The performance of PM is so bad at the moment that I'm wondering if it's not better to downgrade again. I'm running PM on a brand new MacBook with the latest OS and this was not what I was expecting and what i'm used of your product...

Cheers,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2019, 08:06:59 AM »
Lars,

Just wondering, any clue when the new update of PM6 will be released... The performance of PM is so bad at the moment that I'm wondering if it's not better to downgrade again. I'm running PM on a brand new MacBook with the latest OS and this was not what I was expecting and what i'm used of your product...

We're going to release a new build soon (probably tomorrow or Saturday) but it won't likely have a fix for the speed issue.  We're in talks with Apple, but we have not yet found a solution.

It appears that the main factor that is common between all affected systems is that they are equipped or are connected to high-resolution displays that are wide-gamut (P3 color space).

If you have PM5 and it was working for you, I suggest using it until we have addressed this issue.

-Kirk

Offline Perttis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2019, 12:45:53 PM »
I have Mojave (10.14.4) and PM6 and Imac Pro, and haven´t noticed that slowness before I switched PM to show in Imac own screen.
I have been running PM at my second screen (2560*1440) and it´s fast like PM5.
So if you have extra screen, run PM there, might help. (when waiting the fix for this problem)   

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2019, 02:26:06 PM »
For those willing to help test a theory:

The problem has to do with modern Retina displays that are capable of displaying the P3 color space.  By default your screen's Display Profile will either be "Color LCD" or "Display P3".  What I'd like to try is change the Display Profile (temporarily) to sRGB.  Then try PM6.  The colors will be off, but I'd like to know if the performance improves.

Please let me know of your findings.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2019, 03:02:27 PM »

The problem has to do with modern Retina displays that are capable of displaying the P3 color space.  By default your screen's Display Profile will either be "Color LCD" or "Display P3".  What I'd like to try is change the Display Profile (temporarily) to sRGB.  Then try PM6.  The colors will be off, but I'd like to know if the performance improves.

I've just tested this Kirk - there is a slight increase in performance when changing from "iMac" profile (which is my default) to sRGB - and a selection of others..  while there was also a noticeable degradation in performance when changing to others..  My default iMac profile was probably somewhere in the middle in terms of browsing speed..

However - Perttis mentioned something VERY interesting in the post above yours - I have a second display (disabling it doesn't improve performance on the main screen) - but it IS much quicker running it on that screen than the main iMac screen..  You HAVE to have both the main window and the preview window on the same second display for it to be quick.. 
I've also noticed it doesn't always improve the speed on folders which have a lot of images...
I'm not sure of exact numbers, but a folder of 56 Canon 5DS RAW files (50mp) was just as fast as PM5 on my second display, but the sibling folder which contains 303 was still sluggish...
Another folder with 331 raw images was really slow too...

I also tested on a folder with 54 JPG's and that felt slower than the corresponding folder of RAW files..  it felt more of a lag between keystroke and image change...

iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2019, 03:16:31 PM »

I've just tested this Kirk - there is a slight increase in performance when changing from "iMac" profile (which is my default) to sRGB - and a selection of others..  while there was also a noticeable degradation in performance when changing to others..  My default iMac profile was probably somewhere in the middle in terms of browsing speed..

However - Perttis mentioned something VERY interesting in the post above yours - I have a second display (disabling it doesn't improve performance on the main screen) - but it IS much quicker running it on that screen than the main iMac screen..  You HAVE to have both the main window and the preview window on the same second display for it to be quick.. 
I've also noticed it doesn't always improve the speed on folders which have a lot of images...
I'm not sure of exact numbers, but a folder of 56 Canon 5DS RAW files (50mp) was just as fast as PM5 on my second display, but the sibling folder which contains 303 was still sluggish...
Another folder with 331 raw images was really slow too...

I also tested on a folder with 54 JPG's and that felt slower than the corresponding folder of RAW files..  it felt more of a lag between keystroke and image change...

Are you doing any sorting besides "Filename" sort or any filtering?  Were you keeping all of the above folders open at the same time or did you close them after trying them?

The wide-gamut monitor problem should affect all images (RAW files are still JPEGs to PM unless you have RAW rendering via Adobe DNG Converter turned on and then it's really going to be slow) when anything but sRGB is assigned as the Display Profile.

To be clear, the problem that I have found by profiling PM on an affected system is that drawing images to the screen itself is slow and it appears that a lot of pixel conversion is being done as the image is drawn to the screen (this can never be as fast directly copying pixels).

If there is some other kind of speed problem (images themselves load slowly, or the sort takes a long time to complete in the background) then I'd like a complete description of the problem and how to reproduce it.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2019, 03:37:11 PM »
I'd had it on sort by capture time, as I use two camera bodies..  but I've switched it to Filename sorting - performance doesn't appear to be affected by that.  I have no filtering of files enabled.

I'd also disabled the Adobe DNG Converter, as it was way too slow for culling.

On further testing - it appears that it doesn't need both the contact sheet AND preview to be on the second display to work faster - but... It can run faster on the main display only as well - but..
Generally when we view the previews, the preview window has focus..  and the contact sheet thumbs are highlighted in the background..  this runs really slow on my system....

But - if I have the preview window open, but switch focus to the contact sheet, so I'm flicking between the thumbs on the contact sheet rather than the preview window, it updates the preview window MUCH faster than if I'm scrolling while the preview window is in focus...

Even faster if I change the display profile to sRGB as you suggested.

The preview window usually opens in front of the contact sheet, so try opening the windows side by side on the same display, and making sure that you're scrolling through the thumbs on the contact sheet instead of the preview window.

If anyone else with slow issues could try that?
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Offline peyton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • ACC Photos
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2019, 04:10:02 PM »

Thanks,

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

I tested your theory and my results seem to support it. I performed a test as follows:
  • I selected 10 photos and timed how long it took to go through all 10 photos
  • I did the test at least 5 times for each scenario and found the average
  • I tested the "iMac" color profile (which was the default; attached to this post) and the sRGB profile
  • I tested PM 5 vs. PM 6

Here are my results (in seconds):
iMacsRGB
PM52.1s2.1s
PM613.8s3.2s

So, going from the iMac to sRGB profile made a big difference.

My system is an iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015; AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB graphics card; 5120 x 2880 resolution.

Offline miboper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2019, 06:25:48 PM »

Thanks,

-Kirk

Confirmed. Switched from "iMac" profile to "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" and PM6 is much faster stepping through previews.

Offline Riton

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2019, 12:11:41 AM »
I just made the same test on my MacPro 3,1 under Mojave 10.4.4 with a DELL screen : changing the profile in the Displays Prefs from Dell  to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 gives a much faster PM6 almost usable now but its still lagging compared with PM5 with the same profile.
The difference of speed is reduced but it looks a right theory Kirk.