Author Topic: Very bad performance with PM6 on Mojave  (Read 96693 times)

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
Re: Very bad performance with PM6 on Mojave
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2019, 12:36:56 AM »
Can someone also test my theory that flicking through images from the contact sheet while a preview window is open is also faster than flicking through images from the preview window?
Ie: double a thumbnail to open the preview, but then go back to the contact sheet and select a thumbnail then start flicking through from there? Much faster on my machine than when browsing via the preview window?
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Offline Igor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2019, 03:21:25 PM »
PM6 open on screen iMac 27 (5120 x 2880) is slow.
If you open PM6 on the second display (1600 x 900), everything will work quickly. Flipping through previews and flipping through enlarged photos.
Leave the preview window on the small (second) display. and the window with the enlarged photo will transfer to the screen iMac 27 and start to scroll through the pictures. At the same time, the program starts working slowly again. But…
Press the "Z"button. the picture on the big monitor increases, and PM6 begins to scroll through the pictures quickly.
Miracles!
I think the problem is the high resolution of the display.

Offline jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2019, 03:43:07 PM »
On a 15: MacBook Pro 2018, display profile "Color LCD",  it seems fine, although it's hard to tell, as the 47.5 Mpx Panasonic .RW2 files contain only small previews. Using the Adobe DNG converter is sluggish; the PM5 raw renderer (Apple) for a 24Mpx DNG file were faster.

Intel UHD Graphics 630:

Chipset Model:   Intel UHD Graphics 630
  Type:   GPU
  Bus:   Built-In
  VRAM (Dynamic, Max):   1536 MB
  Vendor:   Intel
  Device ID:   0x3e9b
  Revision ID:   0x0000
  Automatic Graphics Switching:   Supported
  gMux Version:   5.0.0
  Metal:   Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1
  Displays:
Colour LCD:
  Display Type:   Built-In Retina LCD
  Resolution:   2880x1800 Retina
  Framebuffer Depth:   24-Bit Colour (ARGB8888)
  Main Display:   Yes
  Mirror:   Off
  Online:   Yes
  Rotation:   Supported
  Automatically Adjust Brightness:   No

Offline Igor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2019, 04:27:16 PM »
If you reduce the display resolution to iMac 27, the program scrolls through the pictures normally. The delay disappears.

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2019, 03:19:14 AM »
If you reduce the display resolution to iMac 27, the program scrolls through the pictures normally. The delay disappears.

Not on my 27” retina 5k (2017) - reducing screen size made no difference.
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Offline BobNL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2019, 05:24:43 AM »
For those willing to help test a theory:

The problem has to do with modern Retina displays that are capable of displaying the P3 color space.  By default your screen's Display Profile will either be "Color LCD" or "Display P3".  What I'd like to try is change the Display Profile (temporarily) to sRGB.  Then try PM6.  The colors will be off, but I'd like to know if the performance improves.

Please let me know of your findings.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Can confirm that it is considerably faster using sRGB profile. I normally use a profile created by the Colormunki Display calibrator.

Offline rema

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2019, 10:10:46 AM »
Can confirm that it is considerably faster using sRGB profile. I normally use a profile created by the Colormunki Display calibrator.

Can confirm it too. Normally I use the profile generated from ym SpyderPro 5. When switching the display profile to sRGB its much much faster (in full display resolution).

Late 2012 iMAc 27".

Reducing the display resolution made it also faster (using the SpyderPro profile).

Offline attyphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2019, 09:21:39 AM »
Tried everything, nothing really works to get it closer to the speed of version 5.
The software's purpose is to do fast culling which worked very well with 5 and I was happy to purchase it but version 6 just defeats the purpose. I hope it will get fixed soon.

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2019, 01:54:32 PM »
For those willing to help test a theory:

The problem has to do with modern Retina displays that are capable of displaying the P3 color space.  By default your screen's Display Profile will either be "Color LCD" or "Display P3".  What I'd like to try is change the Display Profile (temporarily) to sRGB.  Then try PM6.  The colors will be off, but I'd like to know if the performance improves.

Please let me know of your findings.

Thanks,

-Kirk

I too can confirm this. 4k BenQ monitor with Radeon RX580, profile created with i1 Display.
Switching to sRGB profile accelerates going through JPEGs in PM6's Preview tremendously.

It's NOT as fast as PM5 which literally goes through photos in realtime (i.e. the next photo appears AS I press the arrow keys) - a slight lag is there - but much faster compared to 3-4 seconds with the calibration profile.

Offline fferrarini

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2019, 06:44:38 AM »
for me doesn't change... same bad velocity with my monitor profile and srgb...
The problem is that I can't use PM5 because after PM6 installation is slow also the old one...  >:(

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2019, 06:59:33 AM »
for me doesn't change... same bad velocity with my monitor profile and srgb...
The problem is that I can't use PM5 because after PM6 installation is slow also the old one...  >:(

That should not be possible on macOS.  The applications do not install any software of any kind outside of their application package.

For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2800 option 2

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Offline bfeinzimer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2019, 02:50:51 PM »
I received a reply to my support ticket today saying the bug had been ID'd and changing color profiles should fix, this does not seem to work. I am on Mojave on a 4k Dell display and I tried a few different color profiles and PM6 still crawled and ate a ton of CPU resources, still unusable.

Offline ludde_t

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2019, 11:49:43 PM »
Lars,

Just wondering, any clue when the new update of PM6 will be released... The performance of PM is so bad at the moment that I'm wondering if it's not better to downgrade again. I'm running PM on a brand new MacBook with the latest OS and this was not what I was expecting and what i'm used of your product...

We're going to release a new build soon (probably tomorrow or Saturday) but it won't likely have a fix for the speed issue.  We're in talks with Apple, but we have not yet found a solution.

It appears that the main factor that is common between all affected systems is that they are equipped or are connected to high-resolution displays that are wide-gamut (P3 color space).

If you have PM5 and it was working for you, I suggest using it until we have addressed this issue.

-Kirk

Kirk I don't buy that at all. Have tried PM6 on three of our Macbook Pros and all have this issue and none of them use anything else then the default Color-LCD profile. Have you considered that most of the specs here that have issues has dedicated onboard GPUs (which all our machines have) as a possible common factor?

Offline bfeinzimer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2019, 12:23:22 AM »
Lars,

Just wondering, any clue when the new update of PM6 will be released... The performance of PM is so bad at the moment that I'm wondering if it's not better to downgrade again. I'm running PM on a brand new MacBook with the latest OS and this was not what I was expecting and what i'm used of your product...

We're going to release a new build soon (probably tomorrow or Saturday) but it won't likely have a fix for the speed issue.  We're in talks with Apple, but we have not yet found a solution.

It appears that the main factor that is common between all affected systems is that they are equipped or are connected to high-resolution displays that are wide-gamut (P3 color space).

If you have PM5 and it was working for you, I suggest using it until we have addressed this issue.

-Kirk

Kirk I don't buy that at all. Have tried PM6 on three of our Macbook Pros and all have this issue and none of them use anything else then the default Color-LCD profile. Have you considered that most of the specs here that have issues has dedicated onboard GPUs (which all our machines have) as a possible common factor?

I was experiencing it on my eGPU connected 2018 MBP, connected to a Dell U2718 4k display. I don't believe it's P3, and was on discrete graphics via an eGPU.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2019, 06:40:17 AM »
Lars,

-Kirk

Do all three of these systems have a Wide Gamut Retina Display?  While I have not looked at the chromaticities of the default Color-LCD profile, I expect it to be an alias for Display P3.  Any profile other than sRGB being assigned to the display exhibits the massive speed decrease.

I have run a profiler on PM6 while it is running, and I can tell you for a fact that the CPU is being used to do image format conversion during the drawing of each image that PM6 draws to the screen.  Because the thread that services the event queue is busy drawing images so slowly, it is unable to also respond to events generated by the user and makes the application feel extremely sluggish and non-responsive.

-Kirk