Author Topic: Very bad performance with PM6 on Mojave  (Read 96341 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Very bad performance with PM6 on Mojave
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2019, 10:21:48 AM »
any News on this task?

Still working on it.

-Kirk

Offline imagetic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • willduncan.com
« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2019, 01:20:47 PM »
Can we mail you energy drinks? Power bars? Coffee? Tea? CBD oils? At home masseuse?
www.willduncan.com

Model: iMac (18,3 - Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Processor: 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 64GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Offline DaveBurbank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2019, 06:31:21 PM »
Kirk: Maybe speed issue(s) are not just with Mojave.

I really like the new Import from Selection option and also revealing contents of folders in the Favorites pane is a lot faster in PM6.

Unfortunately, PM6 is otherwise too slow for me. And I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6.

Example: I open today's 1,681 images in a browser and then open a preview of the first image. I then press the right arrow to scroll through previews of all 1,681 images. In PM6, it takes 5 minutes 43 seconds to get to the last image. In PM5 it only takes 2 minutes 30 seconds. So PM 6 is more than twice as slow. Plus PM6 can't keep up with the image preview generation. Towards the end the previews are just empty whereas PM5 keeps up just fine.

15" MacBook Pro
  MacBookPro15,1
  Intel Core i9
  2.9 GHz
  Memory:   32 GB
  2TB Apple SSD
  High Sierra 10.13.6

Please let me know if I can help. I did request to be included in the PM6 beta but was denied by Patrick Wilson.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2019, 08:21:02 PM »
Dave,

Kirk: Maybe speed issue(s) are not just with Mojave.

I really like the new Import from Selection option and also revealing contents of folders in the Favorites pane is a lot faster in PM6.

Unfortunately, PM6 is otherwise too slow for me. And I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6.

Example: I open today's 1,681 images in a browser and then open a preview of the first image. I then press the right arrow to scroll through previews of all 1,681 images. In PM6, it takes 5 minutes 43 seconds to get to the last image. In PM5 it only takes 2 minutes 30 seconds. So PM 6 is more than twice as slow. Plus PM6 can't keep up with the image preview generation. Towards the end the previews are just empty whereas PM5 keeps up just fine.

15" MacBook Pro
  MacBookPro15,1
  Intel Core i9
  2.9 GHz
  Memory:   32 GB
  2TB Apple SSD
  High Sierra 10.13.6

Please let me know if I can help. I did request to be included in the PM6 beta but was denied by Patrick Wilson.

There was no PM6 beta.  There is a Photo Mechanic Plus beta that all PM6 users are welcome to try.  You can find out more about it in the Announcements board, though you may as well wait a bit since we're readying a newer beta than currently exists there.

-Kirk

Offline Matthew

• View Profile
    • matt-horwood.com
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2019, 11:03:36 PM »
• We made some changes to help improve the Mojave Wide Gamut Retina Display performance issue. For users that have been experiencing this performance issue, we would greatly appreciate your feedback with this latest change.  For best performance with this build, please turn off the “Always make current Preview visible in Contact Sheet” checkbox in the Preview section of the Preferences dialog.

Noticeable increase in speed on PM6 Plus Beta 6 using macOS Mojave version 10.14.4 on an iMac Pro specs below - using the iMac colour profile and two screens. The images are being read off a Samsung T5 1TB SSD.

“Always make current Preview visible in Contact Sheet” off as advised.

Have tested while browsing a folder of 1500 D850 and z7 RAW files and although there was a brief delay on the first few images after the first 4/5 the images are loading in the preview window as fast as I can click through them.

Big improvement.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 11:20:57 PM by Matthew »

Offline BobNL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2019, 03:02:50 AM »
PM6 plus beta 3 is faster here too. iMac 5K, late 2015.

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2019, 07:04:54 PM »
I am one of those affected by PM6 being slow, therefore I ran it as a trial (which expired).

Since there are reports that PM6 runs way better on macOS 10.14.5 I would like to try and see if that's true for my setup as well.

Is there a way to get a new trial license?

Offline jbrasted

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2019, 08:13:43 PM »
Seems to be much faster with latest build on Imac Pro with Mojave as long as always make current preview visible in contact sheet is deselected.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2019, 08:58:22 PM »
I am one of those affected by PM6 being slow, therefore I ran it as a trial (which expired).

Since there are reports that PM6 runs way better on macOS 10.14.5 I would like to try and see if that's true for my setup as well.

Is there a way to get a new trial license?

Sure.  Contact sales@camerabits.com and explain your situation and I'm certain that they'll be able to help you.

-Kirk

Offline rowellphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Rowell Photography
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »
Photo Mechanic 6, Build 3143, appears to be narrowing the gap to version 5, however it is still slower only marginally.

Offline struffsky

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2019, 01:58:53 AM »
Photo Mechanic 6, Build 3143, appears to be narrowing the gap to version 5, however it is still slower only marginally.

For me it is much slower than my version 4. I'm using latest Mac OS on a Mac Pro 2013 quad with Eizo CG. Could send a link to a comparison video on demand.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2019, 05:41:47 AM »

For me it is much slower than my version 4. I'm using latest Mac OS on a Mac Pro 2013 quad with Eizo CG. Could send a link to a comparison video on demand.

Version 4 is not Retina display enhanced.  It will be drawing only one fourth of the number of pixels to your display that PM6 would be.  I expect performance to be better on version 4.

If you set PM6 to only draw in "Standard (fastest)" mode, then I expect it to be faster than PM4 on the same system.

-Kirk

Offline struffsky

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2019, 06:57:26 AM »

Version 4 is not Retina display enhanced.  It will be drawing only one fourth of the number of pixels to your display that PM6 would be.  I expect performance to be better on version 4.

If you set PM6 to only draw in "Standard (fastest)" mode, then I expect it to be faster than PM4 on the same system.

-Kirk

You are right. That makes it faster and "usable". Still not as fast as Version 4. Are the arrow keys slower and less responsive than before?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2019, 07:34:25 AM »

-Kirk

You are right. That makes it faster and "usable". Still not as fast as Version 4. Are the arrow keys slower and less responsive than before?

If they are, it certainly isn't intentional!

-Kirk

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2019, 12:25:41 PM »
I now also tried the current version of PM6 on my Mid 2010 Mac Pro with macOS 10.14.5.
Yes, it is almost as swift as PM5 is. Almost, but I'm ready to buy now.  :D

I also tried it on my old Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13" (with an SSD inside). Same here: Pretty good and almost as swift as PM5.

What I noticed is that PM5 seems to resort to displaying coarser previews when running full speed through images by holding an arrow key. It keeps pacing and pretty much never slows down. PM6 on the other hand doesn't seem to do this as much and then eventually chokes and resorts to displaying nothing but a grey screen.