Author Topic: Very bad performance with PM6 on Mojave  (Read 96334 times)

Offline miloatsale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Very bad performance with PM6 on Mojave
« Reply #165 on: August 29, 2019, 08:14:41 PM »
it does affect on retina displays.

i have an iMac 5k Retina, hooked with the thunderbolt cinema display.

As the Cinema Display is not retina, when i shift the photo mechanic to that display, it is extremely responsive.

once i shift the photo mechanic 6 back to the retina window, everything is lag and frozen up.

Team, can check how to have more smooth response on Retina screen please?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2019, 10:13:23 PM »
it does affect on retina displays.

i have an iMac 5k Retina, hooked with the thunderbolt cinema display.

As the Cinema Display is not retina, when i shift the photo mechanic to that display, it is extremely responsive.

once i shift the photo mechanic 6 back to the retina window, everything is lag and frozen up.

Team, can check how to have more smooth response on Retina screen please?

Are you using the latest build of PM6 and have you followed the guidelines in the last post?

Offline Goos van der Veen

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
« Reply #167 on: September 02, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »
I have the same problem; it takes several seconds between clicking the arrow key and the switch to next image; free beach ball included. Last week updated my Mac Pro 5,1 (6x3.33MHz, 32GB RAM) to Mojave, and bought the upgrade to PM6; updated to build 3558 (afa5073). FWIW, one thing changed: I swapped the GPU, from Nvidia GTX680 to AMD RX580.

Didn't have this problem with the demo under High Sierra, on the same computer.

UPDATE: sometimes it works fine for a while, then suddenly slows down. Zooming in is often slow (beach ball!) too, but also not always.

UPDATE 2: When you have gone through the images a few times, it runs much smoother, but still slower than in High Sierra with PM5. I still have 2 start-up disks in my computer, one with High Sierra and PM%, and one wiyh Mojave an PM6. I have a separate disk with 214 NEF files (34,5 GB each); High Sierra with PM5 scrolls through them in 21 seconds, Mojave with PM6 takes just over 30 seconds. All software latest versions.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 02:51:24 PM by Goos van der Veen »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #168 on: September 02, 2019, 02:19:57 PM »
I have the same problem; it takes several seconds between clicking the arrow key and the switch to next image; free beach ball included. Last week updated my Mac Pro 5,1 (6x3.33MHz, 32GB RAM) to Mojave, and bought the upgrade to PM6; updated to build 3558 (afa5073). FWIW, one thing changed: I swapped the GPU, from Nvidia GTX680 to AMD RX580.

Didn't have this problem with the demo under High Sierra, on the same computer.

UPDATE: sometimes it works fine for a while, then suddenly slows down. Zooming in is often slow (beach ball!) too, but also not always.

And did you try following the guidelines in the post above?

-Kirk

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
« Reply #169 on: September 02, 2019, 02:55:23 PM »
Sorry Kirk, what guidelines do you mean? I have been away for a month or so, just used PM5 on High Sierra. Last week I installed Mojave and PM6, today ingested the first images with them. Haven't had time yet to read all the posts in the forum, sorry...
PS I updated my previous post with more observations...

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #170 on: September 02, 2019, 03:15:51 PM »
The guidelines posted by Kirk a couple of posts back.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2019, 03:22:13 PM »
Sorry Kirk, what guidelines do you mean? I have been away for a month or so, just used PM5 on High Sierra. Last week I installed Mojave and PM6, today ingested the first images with them. Haven't had time yet to read all the posts in the forum, sorry...
PS I updated my previous post with more observations...

Repost: If following the guidelines here doesn't solve your issue: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000828176-troubleshooting-slow-rendering-issues

Then please list specific areas of Photo Mechanic 6 that are slow.  I cannot help you if you don't give me more detail than "it's slow."

Thanks,

-Kirk

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2019, 04:12:11 PM »
Thanks, found them. Most settings were  the same; the display settings were Best.

Please re-read my original post, I have updated it with some new findings. The first time you open a fresh new folder, browsing is very slow (up to 3 seconds per image on my quite fast computer). Curiously, once you have gone through the folder a number of times, browsing has become almost normal. Still, browsing through the very same folder in PM5 on High Sierra is about 35% faster.

Another observation: Older folders, that were previously ingested, annotated and browsed through by PM5 run smoothly on PM6 too. Maybe a bit slower, have not yet timed it (It's way past midnight here....)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2019, 04:29:49 PM »
Thanks, found them. Most settings were  the same; the display settings were Best.

Please re-read my original post, I have updated it with some new findings. The first time you open a fresh new folder, browsing is very slow (up to 3 seconds per image on my quite fast computer). Curiously, once you have gone through the folder a number of times, browsing has become almost normal. Still, browsing through the very same folder in PM5 on High Sierra is about 35% faster.

Another observation: Older folders, that were previously ingested, annotated and browsed through by PM5 run smoothly on PM6 too. Maybe a bit slower, have not yet timed it (It's way past midnight here....)

Has the sorting finished before you begin browsing?

-Kirk

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2019, 02:57:46 AM »
No, trouble started while ingesting.

In my previous post I stated: Another observation: Older folders, that were previously ingested, annotated and browsed through by PM5 run smoothly on PM6 too. Unfortunately, that is not always true, this morning I started browsing through a few folders from last year, and it took 2 seconds per image...

Curiously, after a while (didn't time, but at least 15 minutes) and after messing around a bit in the preferences and closing and opening folders, PM6 suddenly ran smoothly, and from that moment I couldn't re-create the slowness from the beginning; even after rebooting the computer, and having have 8 folders open, everything ran fine.
One thing I remember doing was setting the High DPI Display Quality to Standard, both in Contact Sheet and Preview preference panes. I believe starting from that point things got better. Later I switched the settings to Best again, but PM kept running smoothly, even after the reboot.

Hope my observations may help. Will now switch off my computer for a few hours; see what happens when I fire it up again...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 12:33:13 PM by Goos van der Veen »

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2019, 01:28:09 PM »
UPDATE
Wanted to work on a folder (created a few months ago by PM5) containing 177 photos (30.2 MB each). PM6 (on Mojave) almost immediately came to a halt, spinning beach ball etc, couldn't do anything. Quitting not possible. Force quit screen said PM (not responding), so I forced quit. Opened the folder again, same problem. Rebooted, let PM6 open the same folder, same problem again, force quit was the only way out.

Rebooted again, now my High Sierra boot disk with PM5, opened the same folder: no problem at all!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2019, 01:51:27 PM »
UPDATE
Wanted to work on a folder (created a few months ago by PM5) containing 177 photos (30.2 MB each). PM6 (on Mojave) almost immediately came to a halt, spinning beach ball etc, couldn't do anything. Quitting not possible. Force quit screen said PM (not responding), so I forced quit. Opened the folder again, same problem. Rebooted, let PM6 open the same folder, same problem again, force quit was the only way out.

What kind of images are they?

Rebooted again, now my High Sierra boot disk with PM5, opened the same folder: no problem at all!

What happens if you open the same folder on High Sierra with PM6?

-Kirk

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2019, 04:30:39 PM »
The images are NEF files from a Nikon D800 in 5:4 crop mode; the files are 30.2MB each.

What happens if you open the same folder on High Sierra with PM6?
Had to install PM6 on this disk, but it ran great: in preview mode, with the right arrow key pressed down, all 177 images passed in 16.4 seconds!

And just for curiosity: PM5 managed to do it in 15.7 seconds, but some images were skipped (just white background). PM6 showed them all.

To set the record straight: the folder containing the 177 images is stored on a separate hard disk. My computer has 2 boot disks, one with High Sierra and one with Mojave. All software was up-to-date.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 04:49:34 PM by Goos van der Veen »

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #178 on: September 06, 2019, 12:42:59 PM »
I ran a similar test on my 2015 iMac 5k running X.14.6 from an external SSD. I used 250 D800 NEFs.   PM6 - 3558 was able to preview them in 27 seconds, which is 9.2 images per second.  I tried PM5  - 19749 on the same folder of NEFs and it was slightly faster at 24 seconds, which is  10.4 images / second.  It seems your new PM6 installation is a bit faster than mine and running as it should.

--Bob

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
« Reply #179 on: September 06, 2019, 03:08:16 PM »
Yes, as long as it runs on X.13.6. But on my computer it crashed on X.14.6.
My Mojave SSD is a CCC clone of the High Sierra SSD. After the cloning it was updated to X.14.6, and then PM6 was installed. I didn't test every single app on the disk, but all major software I normally use ran without any trouble on X.14.6. Except PM6...