Author Topic: Issue with crop tool in PM6  (Read 14207 times)

Offline ErwinScheriau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Issue with crop tool in PM6
« on: March 25, 2019, 06:48:00 AM »
With PM6 I do have an issue with the crop tool.
When setting a crop in PM and then editing the pic (launched by PM) in Photoshop, the crop isn't applied.
This worked fine in PM5, but I don't find any option to enable/disable this.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Issue with crop tool in PM6
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 07:01:14 AM »
When setting a crop in PM and then editing the pic (launched by PM) in Photoshop, the crop isn't applied.

Hmm.  I just cropped a NEF file from a Nikon Z6 in Photo Mechanic 6, pressed the 'e' key and Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 opened up the image in Adobe Camera RAW with the crop applied.

You'll have to tell me more about your file type and your settings in the IPTC/XMP portion of the Preferences dialog.

What file type are you working with? (the one you're trying to crop)
Can you post a screen shot of your IPTC/XMP settings?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ErwinScheriau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 07:10:58 AM »
Here we go.
Doesn't matter if I try to crop a RAW or JPG file.
I do apply a crop in PM (left side of the attachement), then press 'e' to open in Photoshop CC2019, and the crop is gone.

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 07:40:17 AM »
Just tried it here and the crop is being sent along with the file to PS for me.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 08:48:55 AM »
Here we go.
I do apply a crop in PM (left side of the attachement), then press 'e' to open in Photoshop CC2019, and the crop is gone.

Can you send me the XMP sidecar file that goes with the CR2 file in your preview example?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ErwinScheriau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 03:41:29 AM »
Here we go.

Can you send me the XMP sidecar file that goes with the CR2 file in your preview example?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Here it is. And thanks for your support.
And by the way, I've tried with RAWs, and Jpgs, at to different computers with PM6. Just doesn't work.
But works with PM5 on both machines.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 04:04:39 AM by ErwinScheriau »

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 06:06:35 AM »
Erwin,

Thank you for the sample file.  It does not contain any crop information.

Can you check the permissions of the folder containing the image and see if anything is preventing writing files to that folder?
Can you check the permissions of the XMP sidecar file and see if it allows modification?
When you crop that file, quit PM and view that file, does it still have the crop or is it gone?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ErwinScheriau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 06:25:38 AM »
Erwin,

Thank you for the sample file.  It does not contain any crop information.

Can you check the permissions of the folder containing the image and see if anything is preventing writing files to that folder?
Can you check the permissions of the XMP sidecar file and see if it allows modification?
When you crop that file, quit PM and view that file, does it still have the crop or is it gone?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Everything looks fine. And it does work whith PM5.
After restarting PM6 the crop is still there, but when launching with PS or LR its gone.
Oh, I didn't mention that I did an upgrade not a new installation. Maybe there is a problem?
Can I uninstall PM6 and download it again?

Offline ErwinScheriau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 07:22:07 AM »
Meanwhile I've uninstalled and reinstalled PM6.
Did run it as administrator.

Doesn't help at all.

When saving a cropped pic it works fine.

But when pressing 'e' to open the pic in PS, the crop is gone.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 08:22:02 AM »
I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ErwinScheriau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 08:49:11 AM »
I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Hi Kirk.
Here's the log.

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 12:45:19 PM »
Same issue here.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:07:36 AM by philipp »

Offline Riton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 11:34:17 PM »
After new test, I noticed that remove crops works with  other pictures from another contact-sheet tab but not with this contact-sheet !!!!!!!!!! Very strange bug Kirk................Would you like I sent you a pix on which remove crop works ?????????

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 06:06:19 AM »
After new test, I noticed that remove crops works with  other pictures from another contact-sheet tab but not with this contact-sheet !!!!!!!!!! Very strange bug Kirk................Would you like I sent you a pix on which remove crop works ?????????

What happens if you move those images that you can't crop to a different folder?  Can you crop them then?

-Kirk

Offline aow_de

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 09:29:37 AM »
I've got a similar problem with PM6 (on MacOS 10.12.6 Sierra, PS & LR CS6 - the last non CC-Versions both).
I installed the new version, checked the preferences (which seam to be adopted / used from previous PM5 installation) and then just opened some of my older picture-folders as contact sheets. The crops, which had been made in LR and where shown regular in PM5 are corrupted / false.

As this was a direct and major error/bug I saw, I've not gone on to test / use PM6.

Screenshots attached with the correct display in PM5 and the incorrect crops in PM6. Reminds me of a bug with the crop tool in one of the earlier builds of PM5, but I don't remember when this was fixed or what has been the issue..