Author Topic: FTP upload history  (Read 3898 times)

Offline jarle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
FTP upload history
« on: March 25, 2019, 06:56:02 AM »
Having FTP-ed an image, you'll see a green rectangle next to the thumbnail. Then, if you close the thumbnail tab, the green rectangle is forever gone. No way of telling if the image has been transmitted. I suggest that transmission details are permanently recorded (as metadata, in a separate xml file or wherever) and that you can review transmission history by clicking on the green rectangle.

I realize you can write a plain text ftp log file, but this is a cumbersome way of telling if a photo has been transmitted, at best.

Jarle

Offline jarle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: FTP upload history
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 04:23:39 AM »
I almost found a solution. Under Operations in the File uploader, I applied a metadata template. However, this will only change metadata remotely (i.e. the file that ends up on the server) - not the local file, where I really need it.

Also, an option in the file upload dialog to change the color class for sent files would be most helpful and easy to implement.

Jarle

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 08:01:11 AM »
I almost found a solution. Under Operations in the File uploader, I applied a metadata template. However, this will only change metadata remotely (i.e. the file that ends up on the server) - not the local file, where I really need it.

Also, an option in the file upload dialog to change the color class for sent files would be most helpful and easy to implement.

Unfortunately that is not true.  Users can move the original files while they're being sent, rename them, or even delete them.  They can close the contact sheet that the images are in while the copies (the upload system makes a copy in a temp folder to prevent all of this from causing problems during the upload) are uploading.

-Kirk

Offline jarle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 08:56:15 AM »
Ok, thanks. Since you're able to display a progress indicator and a green status label for uploaded photos, one should think it was possible to update the IPTC caption and change color class as well.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 09:44:30 AM »
Ok, thanks. Since you're able to display a progress indicator and a green status label for uploaded photos, one should think it was possible to update the IPTC caption and change color class as well.

If everything is perfect (the image hasn't been removed, renamed, etc.) then it can be done.  But the problem is that people will think that there's a problem when it doesn't always work.  We like to provide features that always work.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 11:22:55 AM »
Is a history like this something that could be added to the upcoming Catalog functionality?
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 01:37:51 PM »
Is a history like this something that could be added to the upcoming Catalog functionality?

That would be the best place for such a thing, but it could still be fragile (renaming, moving or deleting outside of PM).

-Kirk