Author Topic: Leica M9 files pixelate in PM6  (Read 2942 times)

Offline daheintz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Leica M9 files pixelate in PM6
« on: March 25, 2019, 09:02:46 AM »
I tried my folders for 2018 as well as 2019, and all files for my Leica M9 show pixelated previews, no mater what preview settings I use. All other cameras, Leica M10, Q, Nikon D850, D5, etc display correctly.

Note that the Leica M9 does have a limit on on card zize and speed, but these files are on my Mac and have been for some time. Note too that they work fine with all of my other image viewers and raw convertors..

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Leica M9 files pixelate in PM6
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 09:17:35 AM »
If I remember correctly, the older Leica cameras put only a very small preview in the files they produce.  PM is showing you that preview.

-Kirk

Offline daheintz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 12:55:01 PM »
Not the issue. Worked fine with PM5. Also, Bridge, Photosupreme, NeoFinder, ApolloOne, FastRawViewer, Graphic Convertor, Lightroom, et al. I checked them all.

In browing the files, I note the little magnifying glass icon is not available in the lower right corner of the thumbnail...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 01:16:59 PM »
Not the issue. Worked fine with PM5. Also, Bridge, Photosupreme, NeoFinder, ApolloOne, FastRawViewer, Graphic Convertor, Lightroom, et al. I checked them all.

In browing the files, I note the little magnifying glass icon is not available in the lower right corner of the thumbnail...

Do you run Windows or macOS?

-Kirk

Offline daheintz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 06:09:32 AM »
Mac 10.14

Offline Chuck Albertson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 10:44:28 AM »

I have the same issue with DNGs from a Leica Monochrom (the first version, aka the M9 Monochrom), but they won't work in PM5, either. If I select an image and then go to Tools/Extract JPEG preview from RAW, I get the message that there is no extractable preview in the image. If I try to save a Monochrom image as a smaller JPEG, I get a message that there were errors in the Save As process.

Offline daheintz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 12:37:36 PM »
Hmmm. Perhaps Camera Bits will send us the new Plus version and it will work for our cameras...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 01:10:52 PM »
There won't be any rendering differences in Photo Mechanic Plus over the non-Plus version.

If you'll send me a sample image then I'll take a look at it and see what can be done.

-Kirk

Offline daheintz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 05:59:14 AM »
PM with dng file sent.

Offline daheintz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 07:34:48 AM »
Now relegated to page 3 in the queue...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 10:53:11 AM »
The Leica M9 DNG file does not contain a preview.  It only has a thumbnail.  PM6 does not currently render any RAW files directly (though in the Render Cache you can enable RAW rendering via the Adobe DNG Converter program but it is slow.)

You can process Leica M9 DNG files through the DNG Converter and have it create large previews.  PM6 will display those large previews.

-Kirk