Author Topic: Fuji X-Pro 2 and code replacement  (Read 2114 times)

Offline ScottAudette

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Fuji X-Pro 2 and code replacement
« on: March 25, 2019, 02:26:12 PM »
Good Afternoon,

While I'm sure that everyone is all excited about PM 6 I am having a code replacement issue  in PM5. Although It does carry over the PM6 though.  ;)

Using the FUJIFILM X-PRO 2, with most recent firmware, the code replacement for serial number has started bringing up a weird string of numbers&characters. On previous versions of PM5 this worked fine and the Fuji stuff is the only stuff we are having problems with. I've attached a screenshot.

Thanks,
Scott
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 03:06:58 PM by ScottAudette »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Fuji X-Pro 2 and code replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 03:18:15 PM »
Scott,

While I'm sure that everyone is all excited about PM 6 I am having a code replacement issue  in PM5. Although It does carry over the PM6 though.  ;)

Using the FUJIFILM X-PRO 2, with most recent firmware, the code replacement for serial number has started bringing up a weird string of numbers&characters. On previous versions of PM5 this worked fine and the Fuji stuff is the only stuff we are having problems with. I've attached a screenshot.

Can you post a photo produced by the updated firmware?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ScottAudette

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 03:30:17 PM »
Tried to post an image file but the forums struggling a bit.

So here is a dropbox link to a Fuji file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jy306rdu86qgr9u/ML20190318_TBLvsARI177%20.jpg?dl=0

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 04:11:36 PM »
Without digging into this, my recollection is that Fuji doesn't write out the standard Exif serial number tag like most manufacturers (Sony is another one).  This Exif field wasn't part of the original Exif spec and so manufacturers have had to put this into their proprietary maker note.  When Exif 2.1 was released and this SerialNumber field officially defined, most manufacturers instead put their serial number in this standard place, but not all.

Instead, for some makes like Fuji and Sony, we instead find a "internal serial number" inside their maker note. This has nothing to do with the actual serial number on the camera body - it is some bizarre number that at least remains constant for all photos taken by that camera (and therefore serves as a surrogate serial number).

Are you sure that your code replacement file doesn't already have these long internal serial numbers?  I don't think this changed in PM 5 vs PM 6 (this part of the code should have been consistent). From your screenshot in the caption it looks like you are missing the closing delimiter "\".

If you don't like the long ugly internal serial number, try using a "slice" of the serial number like first N digits to generate your codes.  For example:

{serial:10}

gives you first 10 digits, and:

{serial:-10}

gives you the last 10 digits.  You will need to adjust accordingly to guarantee this is unique for all your various Fuji cameras.

HTH

Offline ScottAudette

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 10:43:48 AM »
The second delimiter is there. It is just buried under the insanely long string of characters. Just to clarifiy that string is what the serial number variable is returning instead of the code replacement. I will try using the ridiculously long string in the code replacement file instead of the camera serial number.  ;)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 11:05:42 AM »
The second delimiter is there. It is just buried under the insanely long string of characters. Just to clarifiy that string is what the serial number variable is returning instead of the code replacement. I will try using the ridiculously long string in the code replacement file instead of the camera serial number.  ;)

Or you can use a trimmed one like Dennis suggested and use one of the substring extraction methods he demonstrated.

-Kirk