Author Topic: RAW Preview Mac OS  (Read 5328 times)

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
RAW Preview Mac OS
« on: March 25, 2019, 04:15:38 PM »
The Q shortcut toggle to render the raw in the Preview window (instead of showing the embedded jpg) appears to not work. Is it broken or has it been moved/removed in PM6.

macOS 10.12.6, viewing Canon 5D4 files.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: RAW Preview Mac OS
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 04:18:43 PM »
Sam,

The Q shortcut toggle to render the raw in the Preview window (instead of showing the embedded jpg) appears to not work. Is it broken or has it been moved/removed in PM6.

Removed.

-Kirk

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 04:41:56 PM »
I've noticed that if you use PM5 to view an image as RAW in preview, then open the same contact sheet/folder in PM6, that image still shows up as [RAW] with no way to revert back to JPG preview...

J.
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 04:55:08 PM »
I've noticed that if you use PM5 to view an image as RAW in preview, then open the same contact sheet/folder in PM6, that image still shows up as [RAW] with no way to revert back to JPG preview...

It's still showing a JPEG preview even in that case unless you turned on RAW rendering using the Adobe DNG Converter in which case it will be using the JPEG preview from a temporary DNG file.

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 04:33:30 AM »
Sam,

Removed.

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

Is there a reason for its removal?

This was really useful feature that I used all the time, both for checking fine sharpness from the RAW instead of the embedded preview, and also for switching between colour and b/w when I'd shot b/w in the camera (the raw is still in colour, just the preview is monochrome).

I was under the impression that it used the system-level support for raw files built-in to Mac OS, so can it be reinstated easily or is it gone forever?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 06:47:10 AM »
Sam,

Removed.

-Kirk

Is there a reason for its removal?

This was really useful feature that I used all the time, both for checking fine sharpness from the RAW instead of the embedded preview, and also for switching between colour and b/w when I'd shot b/w in the camera (the raw is still in colour, just the preview is monochrome).

I was under the impression that it used the system-level support for raw files built-in to Mac OS, so can it be reinstated easily or is it gone forever?

We aren't planning to return that feature using Apple's rendering.

-Kirk

Offline jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 03:27:34 PM »
Can you explain why it was removed?  It worked well under PM5.  The Adobe DNG Converter route is fine as an alternative.  I don't know which supports more formats, but I imagine that the Mac version is more efficient on the Mac.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 03:36:25 PM »
Can you explain why it was removed?  It worked well under PM5.  The Adobe DNG Converter route is fine as an alternative.  I don't know which supports more formats, but I imagine that the Mac version is more efficient on the Mac.

It just didn't fit for the direction we're moving towards.  Stay tuned.  We'll have more options in the future.  We may even bring back Apple ImageIO rendering as an option.

-Kirk

Offline mfryd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 12:49:58 PM »
I used the feature all the time.

I set the camera for Monochrome and shoot RAW.  This gives me a monochrome embedded preview.  The "Q" key allowed me to toggle to a locally rendered color preview.

I could live without this feature if there was some way of quickly toggling between the camera rendered preview, and a default rendering of the RAW file.

I don't use DNG files, and don't feel a desire to install Adobe software on my computer.   If I liked Adobe software I would be using Bridge or Lightroom, not Photo Mechanic.

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 01:31:56 PM »
mfryd,  I've been using the following as a workaround on macOS because I do the same thing with monochrome/color shooting

I configured macOS Preview as an external editor in Photo Mechanic.  Now when I am looking at an image in PM, I use a keyboard shortcut to open that image in macOS Preview and it shows me Apple's color raw rendering.

Caveat: This will not work with compressed Raw files which Apple doesn't like as I recently found out :-(     (But, that means it wouldn't have worked the way PM used to do it either.)

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits