Author Topic: UI Issues in PM6  (Read 2249 times)

Offline ruimleal

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
UI Issues in PM6
« on: March 25, 2019, 08:11:18 PM »
Here goes the screenshots to illustrate the smaller font.

Also sending out a sketch I did in 2012 showing that the tasks would be much more helpful if they were at the left bottom side with all info on them and not in an open window as it continues to be in version 6 it makes no sense at all having that window popping out constantly.

Another things noticed:

- Now on PM6 on the tree I can see the hidden $RECYCLE.BIN files of my mac, that never happened on PM5

- After so many years waiting, since 2012, I was hoping to see this implemented too "Before and while Ingesting photos have an option to add GPS Map information (This could be useful for a quick shoot when GPS would be needed to add directions to the agency). I found that you need to browse photos and only afterwards adding the GPS coordinates
to them, this way you could add GPS info before the ingest just like the IPTC info."

- No database as promised long time ago

- The Favorites box tab continues to show up every time I start a new PM6 session even if I minimised/hide it previously in a way that it would disappear it continues to be present in every started session. This is something that I have already mentioned in previous versions an option to be able to just open PM on Navigator mode, also not available in version 6. (This is just a simple thing to include in the Window menu, an option do enable/disable it on start up).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 08:44:46 PM by ruimleal »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: UI Issues in PM6
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 08:46:37 PM »
Here goes the screenshots to illustrate the smaller font.

I see no difference in the size of the fonts in your two dialog screenshots.  We did not change the size of the font in any of the dialogs in PM6.

Also sending out a sketch I did in 2012 showing that the tasks would be much more helpful if they were at the left bottom side with all info on them and not in an open window as it continues to be in version 6 it makes no sense at all having that window popping out constantly.

You can control this.  Open the Ingest Tasks dialog from the "Window" menu.  Uncheck the checkbox labeled "Always show this dialog when an Ingest starts".  You won't see one ever again unless you bring it up manually.

Another things noticed:

- Now on PM6 on the tree I can see the hidden $RECYCLE.BIN files of my mac, that never happened on PM5

That sounds like it is from Windows.

- After so many years waiting, since 2012, I was hoping to see this implemented too "Before and while Ingesting photos have an option to add GPS Map information (This could be useful for a quick shoot when GPS would be needed to add directions to the agency). I found that you need to browse photos and only afterwards adding the GPS coordinates to them, this way you could add GPS info before the ingest just like the IPTC info."

I don't understand how that could possibly work?  The GPS coordinates have to come from somewhere if they're not already contained in the images on the card.  Stopping on each image and asking you to point to a location on a map during Ingest doesn't sound productive at all.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

- No database as promised long time ago

Maybe you missed the announcement that we're having a public beta of Photo Mechanic Plus that includes the long-awaited Catalog features.

- The Favorites box tab continues to show up every time I start a new PM6 session even if I minimised/hide it previously in a way that it would disappear it continues to be present in every started session. This is something that I have already mentioned in previous versions an option to be able to just open PM on Navigator mode, also not available in version 6. (This is just a simple thing to include in the Window menu, an option do enable/disable it on start up).

I'd like to see what your screen looks like with your Favorites hidden prior to quitting PM, please.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ruimleal

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 09:15:49 PM »

You can control this.  Open the Ingest Tasks dialog from the "Window" menu.  Uncheck the checkbox labeled "Always show this dialog when an Ingest starts".  You won't see one ever again unless you bring it up manually.

I know this hidden option from previous version the problem is that if the dialog is closed the messages/errors would not show only the progress bar and color are displayed and having it open it's the only safe way to know what really happen when it stops transferring the files, maybe if this was displayed on the bottom left within the Task (as I show in the pic above) then it would make sense to close it.

Quote from: ruimleal on Today at 08:11:18 PM
- After so many years waiting, since 2012, I was hoping to see this implemented too "Before and while Ingesting photos have an option to add GPS Map information (This could be useful for a quick shoot when GPS would be needed to add directions to the agency). I found that you need to browse photos and only afterwards adding the GPS coordinates to them, this way you could add GPS info before the ingest just like the IPTC info."

I don't understand how that could possibly work?  The GPS coordinates have to come from somewhere if they're not already contained in the images on the card.  Stopping on each image and asking you to point to a location on a map during Ingest doesn't sound productive at all.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

What I mean is you select the GPS coordinates before ingesting the files. For example if you have taken all photos at a certain location and want to add gps coordinates to all the photos while importing them (instead of doing that after having importing the files) and now with the option to choose manually each file to import this makes even more sense on the workflow. You select the gps coordinates on the map and then choose the files to import them with just like you do with the already existent IPTC Stationery pad just needed to be created a GPS stationary pad if you know what I mean.

Didn't know about the beta with database, sorry about that.

In attach I send the hidden Favorites that I would like to be hidden every time I open PM.

Sorry about all this, but I really like so much PM that version 6 got me very disappointed for the money to pay for it and after a so good advertisement it is, for me, a very bad start.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 09:28:32 PM »

I know this hidden option from previous version the problem is that if the dialog is closed the messages/errors would not show only the progress bar and color are displayed and having it open it's the only safe way to know what really happen when it stops transferring the files, maybe if this was displayed on the bottom left within the Task (as I show in the pic above) then it would make sense to close it.

The color swatch should turn red when there are errors during Ingest.  Double-clicking will bring up the full UI with the details.  Seems usable to me?

Quote from: ruimleal on Today at 08:11:18 PM

What I mean is you select the GPS coordinates before ingesting the files. For example if you have taken all photos at a certain location and want to add gps coordinates to all the photos while importing them (instead of doing that after having importing the files) and now with the option to choose manually each file to import this makes even more sense on the workflow. You select the gps coordinates on the map and then choose the files to import them with just like you do with the already existent IPTC Stationery pad just needed to be created a GPS stationary pad if you know what I mean.

Sounds like you should go through your pictures first, adding GPS coordinates, then Ingest.  I may still be misunderstanding you.

In attach I send the hidden Favorites that I would like to be hidden every time I open PM.

Thanks.  Now I understand.

Sorry about all this, but I really like so much PM that version 6 got me very disappointed for the money to pay for it and after a so good advertisement it is, for me, a very bad start.

We can't please everyone all of the time.  And we can't keep working on a version of our software and never release it because we're trying to please everyone.

PM6 has dozens and dozens of new features that PM5 doesn't have and that's not counting what is to come in Photo Mechanic Plus.

I'm sorry if some of your feature requests were overlooked but we don't implement each and every feature request that is made.  I hope you understand that we have to pick and choose what we think our users will like the most and implement those features.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 09:34:53 PM »
I may have a solution for you and your desire to have the Favorites collapsed.  See the attached image.  You will have to close up the Favorites for each new top-level Contact Sheet window you create, but once you've done that, then the "Restore Session" feature of PM6 will restore your windows and all of their settings, including the collapsed status of the Favorites.

HTH,

-Kirk