Author Topic: Country, city, State and location fields  (Read 4454 times)

Offline Paco Feria

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Paco Feria / photojournalist
Country, city, State and location fields
« on: April 03, 2007, 01:15:30 PM »
hello I´m a  next user of PM, I´m still testing the beta version of the program, my current workflow doesn´t include PM at the moment but what decided me go into this program is its latest addition, "structured Keywords panel" really very useful tool in order to get catalloged  some thousands of images prior to set up my own online agency, well I´ve two issues I´d like to know whether could be resolve, here you are:

1ª - In fotostation ( which I´m using from some years ago ) , I can introduce the:  country, state/province, and city fields all at once, maybe I´m missing something here, but seems that i need fill in by myself these fields in PM ( all them are empty )   countries, cities, and states  importing them from other files , well there´s no problem once typed, but what would be really useful is fill all these fields at once as I do actually in FS, what I do now is as follows: I can display any of these  fields, all of them displays the same, a list of countries, so I scroll until the one needed which contains its states/provinces/ then look into the displayed menu for the city Where the picture was taken , select it and all the fields are filled correctly automatically, it seems that I need do this in PM one by one each time, which is an importat waste of time when you have to captioning thousands of pictures from many different countries cities and locations, but maybe this can be done and I´m wrong, well I´ll wait for you explanations on this.

2- despite I select the "open folders and subfolders,, from the contextual menu, I can get all the subfloders displayed, but just the first one
the others inside aren´t displayed even that i can see how PM scan all pictures inside, I´m sure I´m doing something wrong on this but unable to figure out what , well thanks in advanced for this program but overall for the structure keywords panel, this is a defintive tool for me,  I was looking something similar since many time ago.

PD- I work with a mac OS  10.4.9    PM beta is the 4.5 version

Paco Feria / photojournalist
http://www.pacoferia.com
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 01:22:38 PM by Paco Feria »
www.pacoferia.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Country, city, State and location fields
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 03:07:10 PM »
Paco,

hello I´m a  next user of PM, I´m still testing the beta version of the program, my current workflow doesn´t include PM at the moment but what decided me go into this program is its latest addition, "structured Keywords panel" really very useful tool in order to get catalloged  some thousands of images prior to set up my own online agency, well I´ve two issues I´d like to know whether could be resolve, here you are:

1ª - In fotostation ( which I´m using from some years ago ) , I can introduce the:  country, state/province, and city fields all at once, maybe I´m missing something here, but seems that i need fill in by myself these fields in PM ( all them are empty )   countries, cities, and states  importing them from other files , well there´s no problem once typed, but what would be really useful is fill all these fields at once as I do actually in FS, what I do now is as follows: I can display any of these  fields, all of them displays the same, a list of countries, so I scroll until the one needed which contains its states/provinces/ then look into the displayed menu for the city Where the picture was taken , select it and all the fields are filled correctly automatically, it seems that I need do this in PM one by one each time, which is an importat waste of time when you have to captioning thousands of pictures from many different countries cities and locations, but maybe this can be done and I'm wrong, well I'll wait for you explanations on this.

Generally people use the IPTC Stationery Pad to apply that sort of "base" information to their images so it isn't nearly as tedious as you describe.  All you need to do is select all of the photos that were shot in the same location, open the IPTC Stationery Pad, enter the City, State, and Country information, setting the "Apply" checkboxes to the left of each field and then apply the IPTC Stationery Pad.  In moments, all of those photos have their city, state, and country applied.

Quote from: Paco Feria
2- despite I select the "open folders and subfolders", from the contextual menu, I can get all the subfloders displayed, but just the first one
the others inside aren't displayed even that i can see how PM scan all pictures inside...

We open the parent folder and all of its subfolder into a single contact sheet tab.  They're all in there, but there isn't enough room to display all of the subfolder names so they are omitted.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Paco Feria

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 08:19:23 AM »
Thanks Kirk.

well anyway I´think would be much more useful get the  country, code country, city and location  fields auto filled just selecting the location inside a city, or the city inside a country along with the code country, due that these values will never change, maybe just to avoid mistaken filling de same  data over and over unnecessarily

- and you said:
We open the parent folder and all of its subfolder into a single contact sheet tab.  They're all in there, but there isn't enough room to display all of the subfolder names so they are omitted.

Sorry maybe I explain myself wrongly, what I meant is that I can´t see any picture beyond the first level folder, in other words, I can´t see any pictures include into subfolders. but just the ones include in the folder itself, any clue?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 08:21:06 AM by Paco Feria »
www.pacoferia.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 02:04:50 PM »
Paco,

well anyway I think would be much more useful get the  country, code country, city and location  fields auto filled just selecting the location inside a city, or the city inside a country along with the code country, due that these values will never change, maybe just to avoid mistaken filling de same  data over and over unnecessarily

I can see how that would be faster when you have to change those fields for every photo in a take, but that's pretty rare.  In any rate this is feature request and not a support issue.  Please post your feature request in the Feature Requests section of the forums.

Quote from: Paco Feria
- and you said:

Sorry maybe I explain myself wrongly, what I meant is that I can't see any picture beyond the first level folder, in other words, I can't see any pictures include into subfolders. but just the ones include in the folder itself, any clue?

That's odd.  I just tried it with a parent folder that contained nothing but three subfolders.  When opened using "Open Folder and Subfolders" the resulting Contact Sheet contained 281 photos.  I later verified the following about the three individual folders:

The first folder contained 84 photos.
The second one contained 136 photos.
The third one contained 61 photos.

Added together they contain 281 photos which matches the number of photos in the single Contact Sheet containing them all.

It seems to be working fine to me.  Maybe you could try again and do this sort of analysis and see what you come up with.

-Kirk

Offline Paco Feria

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 04:44:18 PM »
 -Please post your feature request in the Feature Requests section of the forum

Ok sorry I wasn´t aware

-It seems to be working fine to me.  Maybe you could try again and do this sort of analysis and see what you come up with.

-Kirk

I downloaded the beta again and install on my laptop, there works fine  displaying pictures into all subfolders, so I guess I can download the beta again  and refresh the one I´ve installed in the other computer, well many thanks Kirk ,  issue solved.

http://www.pacoferia.com
www.pacoferia.com