Author Topic: Emailing Photos  (Read 5156 times)

Offline robk47

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Emailing Photos
« on: April 03, 2007, 09:21:32 AM »
Kirk,
I will say that the beta version lacks a feature I enjoyed on 4.4.3.3 and that being when I email a photo or photos, the current full version opened Outlook Express, attached the pictures and then allowed me to type in the address or subject and the text in the body...the beta version is a lot different in that you sort of have to do that in within PM and it does not have my signature as I have it on Outlook and I would prefer sending through Outlook and NOT PM, if possible...am I missing something with a setting or something??...there is a lot about the beta that I like, but the email thing troubles me...help??

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Emailing Photos
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 10:05:48 AM »
I will say that the beta version lacks a feature I enjoyed on 4.4.3.3 and that being when I email a photo or photos, the current full version opened Outlook Express, attached the pictures and then allowed me to type in the address or subject and the text in the body...the beta version is a lot different in that you sort of have to do that in within PM and it does not have my signature as I have it on Outlook and I would prefer sending through Outlook and NOT PM, if possible...am I missing something with a setting or something??...there is a lot about the beta that I like, but the email thing troubles me...help??

I didn't change anything in the Send photos as email feature other than to fix the bug where when the CC: and BCC: fields were empty they would get populated with the contents of the To: field.

Otherwise the only other change that was made globally throughout the application was to use Unicode strings instead of multi-byte character strings.

I too have noticed that the checkbox that allows you to compose an email in your email client before sending is not working properly.  To me it looks like some new security update from Microsoft has tightened the security around MAPI which we use to send email from PM.  When I use the compose feature I get this warning dialog that allows me to send or cancel.  If I choose send then the email is sent immediately and no Outlook window opens up at all.

I'll recheck the code and also see if any other engineers are talking about this issue on the internet.

But I expect that there won't be much I can do, unfortunately.  Microsoft has good reason to tighten security on MAPI since it is quite easy to write an application that gets all of the email addresses from your contacts and send emails to everyone without any UI interruptions at all.  This latest security enhancement makes it quite clear who is trying to send an email and allows you to stop it immediately.  It would just be great if Microsoft could add a white-list of apps that you trust to send email without interruption...

-Kirk

Offline robk47

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Emailing Photos
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 10:38:37 AM »
Kirk;
Thank you for your response. What makes this a fabulous application is the support from you and your team and the effort made to meet the needs of the photographers that use it. There are very few developers out there that make the kind of effort you do to get it right.
Rob Klein