Author Topic: Cropping images in PM5 after about say 20 images the next image will pixelate  (Read 4966 times)

Offline runner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
While cropping images in PM5 after about say 20 images the next image will pixelate, there must be an issue somewhere in the settings but  I can't find where and what causes it, the images are regular JPEG's from a nikon camera, around 3 to 4 MB, I've also have this issue with PM5 with an older operating system on my old MAC, could somebody suggest a solution please.

macOS 10.14.3
Version 5.0, build 19749 (20d085a)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
While cropping images in PM5 after about say 20 images the next image will pixelate, there must be an issue somewhere in the settings but  I can't find where and what causes it, the images are regular JPEG's from a nikon camera, around 3 to 4 MB, I've also have this issue with PM5 with an older operating system on my old MAC, could somebody suggest a solution please.

macOS 10.14.3
Version 5.0, build 19749 (20d085a)

In the Caching section of the Preferences dialog, make sure your Memory Cache is no larger than 128MB.

-Kirk

Offline runner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thanks Kirk
I altered the memory cache from 256 down to 64, today the random issue is where there should be a preview in the preview window I'm getting a black screen, I am using twin monitors, I can still crop that image which should be displayed as I can see it over on the contact sheet, the issue must be related to the one I have above, is it a hardware issue is it a software issue is it a conflict with something else  I've got on my system, I just don't know. Both my new and old MAC's have SSD hard drive's, until recently I've used the PM4 almost exclusively and absolutely love it, I suspect my issue's with PM5 have always been there and I've just never got round to sorting them.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
I suspect that the problem is that as the years have gone by, you've upgraded your cameras and the images they produce have greater and greater megapixel counts, but PM5 and earlier versions of PM have continued to be 32-bit apps and have access to only a small amount of memory on your system.  PM6 is a 64-bit application and can have access to nearly all of the memory on your system and can render much larger images without issue.

-Kirk

Offline runner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
We're looking at 3 to 4 MB file size and 11.7 million pixels.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
We're looking at 3 to 4 MB file size and 11.7 million pixels.

That shouldn't be a problem for PM5.  For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2800 option 2

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Offline runner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thankyou Kirk
I shall drop them an email, probably in the meantime I'll revert back to using PM4 on my old MAC, and eagerly await the full version of PM6.

Offline runner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
It would seem I've pointed autocomplete to a file in preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic which in PM4 hasn't caused a problem but in PM5 it has, of course it should never have been in there in the first place it's something I've placed in there but shouldn't have, I've also had a cleanup in that preference folder, I do like to keep the .snap files as it saves re doing them. I'm hoping and believe I have sorted the problem.
Many thanks for your help, if I still have issues i'll email support.