Author Topic: Move to trash  (Read 4832 times)

Offline reefer

• View Profile
Move to trash
« on: March 26, 2019, 12:30:25 PM »
On OSX when I delete a batch of images it takes a long time to complete, I recall in previous versions the deletion of images was almost instantaneous.....

Any way to fix this? As it is it's so slow it puts me off upgrading after the trial period.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Move to trash
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 12:48:35 PM »
In PM5 we were using a method to move items to the Trash that was deprecated by Apple and could be removed at any time.  Now we're using the more modern routine that Apple wants developers to use.  Apparently the newer method is slow.

-Kirk

Offline kim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 01:12:32 PM »
Not on my MacBook Pro 10.14.3 PM6. It is as fast as it used to be.
-kim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 01:33:34 PM »
On OSX when I delete a batch of images it takes a long time to complete, I recall in previous versions the deletion of images was almost instantaneous.....

Any way to fix this? As it is it's so slow it puts me off upgrading after the trial period.

Are other operations slow for you, like previewing images, scrolling through thumbnails, selecting thumbnails?

-Kirk

Offline reefer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 01:50:23 PM »
I've not had a chance to use the app in a live environment as yet, I was just going through a few folders of images and this was the thing that stuck out for me.

I'll be trying more features later in the week and will get back to you if I encounter anything.

Offline reefer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 01:53:27 PM »
Not on my MacBook Pro 10.14.3 PM6. It is as fast as it used to be.
-kim

PM5 hasn't been as fast as it used to be for some time, mostly in the deletion of files area. In later revisions, I was always getting a message when closing the app that related to the cache being purged. I can't recall the exact dialogue produced now but it was very frustrating.

Of course, all this could be down to the newer OSX operating systems. Which is a shame as its kind of broken PM's speediness for me.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 01:56:37 PM »
If you really want to delete files and not have a way to change your mind, you can set Photo Mechanic (all versions) to delete instead of moving to the Trash.  This is much faster.

-Kirk

Offline reefer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 01:26:05 AM »
If you really want to delete files and not have a way to change your mind, you can set Photo Mechanic (all versions) to delete instead of moving to the Trash.  This is much faster.

-Kirk

I didn't realise this feature existed, to be honest, I just checked my copy of PM5 and this was actually already set to delete rather than move, so for me, there doesn't appear to be a lot of difference between the 2 methods.

Offline reefer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 01:28:48 AM »

Are other operations slow for you, like previewing images, scrolling through thumbnails, selecting thumbnails?

-Kirk

I've actually had a chance to look at this overnight, and yes it's much slower to when viewing images. When I double click a thumbnail to bring up the preview I always flick through the folder using the arrow keys... this is when I'm noticing the drop in speed.